Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband recently retired from a state institution, and discovered that his state retirement plan earned a whopping 4% interest. Having 30 more years to work in his new field, we wanted to invest aggressively for retirement, and so requested to rollover the entire value of the account to a self-directed IRA. The plan administrator advised that he could only rollover the amount he had contributed (about half of the value) and would have to take the remainder in a monthly pension payment. The administrator did make provisions to pay that miniscule monthly amount directly to the IRA, but no taxes were withheld. Am I correct in assuming that the monthly amount is a distribution, and therefore reported as retirement income? Would there be a better way to handle that monthly amount? The original large rollover amount has almost tripled, so we certainly don't regret moving away from that original plan!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.