Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: rbat 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: Pension options for beneficiery Date: 11/10/2008 10:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Pension max or reduced benifit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am retiring this year (I am a healthy 44) and can select an option from my pension to provide for a beneficiary (my wife who is also a healthy 44), if I choose. Both of our parents are alive and we have no children. My annual pension is a defined benefit that can vary from $73,000 to $81,500 depending on which option I choose below:
• $6,794 per month Max benefit (100% benefit for my life, no benificiary)
• $6,661 per month 25% to surviving beneficiary for her life
• $6,428 per month 50% to surviving beneficiary
• $6,259 per month 75% to surviving beneficiary
• $6,100 per month 100% to surviving beneficiary
Here is some more information to help decide on whether to take a decreased benefit and supplement with term life insurance (paid for with post tax dollars).

My monthly benefit has a 3% COLA which makes both the benefit and or the potential savings worth more.

The DROP (Deferred retirement option plan) allows me to continue working for up to 8 years while my pension benefit is deposited into an account monthly. This account has an 8% guaranteed return. Max benefit - (8 years X 81,500 = 652,000) X 8% annual compounded interest and the 3 % annual COLA applied to the benefit.

There is no relation to beneficiary health coverage tied in to the decision.

I had my physical and am pre qualified for up to 2 million dollars 30 year term @ an annual cost of $4,200 and up to a 1 million 10 year term @ an annual cost of $800 (to cover the DROP listed above). To be safe, I got approved for what I thought would be the absolute max needed. I got prices in 250,000 increments both policies..

Our life expectancy is 84, 10 years beyond the 30 year term policy.

My thinking is that a combination would be best. The life insurance is tax free, immediate and would cover the lost DROP if I passed sooner rather than later. By the time the 30 year policy expires, the DROP account and the savings should equate to a considerable amount. She would get a fixed amount with a COLA and not have to worry about investments

By reducing my benefit she gets a guaranteed monthly payment with a COLA, a larger DROP account with compounding interest of 8% and all that we save or accumulate for all the years receiving the larger benefit and the life insurance can be transferred or cancelled if she passes before I do.

My concerns are the Life ins. Companies stability. They are all A+ rated and I would split the coverage equally between them. Also my concern is the premium changing or some other small print loophole, or simply missing a payment.

Thanks in advance for any help
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement