No. of Recommendations: 0
My employer is disbanding and a new group is being formed. Can I at this time take my employee pension plan out of their control and put it into a self-directed IRA with the broker of my choice? The "old" employer is basically the same as the "new" employer but it has a different name. I thought that legally I might be able to take my money and put it into where I want at this time without all of the penalties. Similar to transferring an account from an employer for whom I no longer work. I say this because it will be an "old" employer. Does this make sense?

Thanks for any help,

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.