Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MaryMot Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Pension Plan VS. IRA Date: 12/18/1997 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just began working for a hospital which provides a pension plan. It just so happens that this pension plan is in the form of mutual funds, to whish the hospital automatically adds a % of my gross income. I already have an IRA set up of my own, can I still contribute to this IRA on a tax deferred basis?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 946 of 121572
Subject: Re: Pension Plan VS. IRA Date: 12/18/1997 7:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<I just began working for a hospital which provides a pension plan. It just so happens that this
pension plan is in the form of mutual funds, to whish the hospital automatically adds a % of my gross
income. I already have an IRA set up of my own, can I still contribute to this IRA on a tax deferred
basis?>>

Of course...you can ALWAYS make the contribution to your own IRA. The question usually is: Is the contribution deductible???

For 1997, you can still make a deductible contribution to your own IRA account if you are filing married/joint, and your adjusted gross income (AGI) is less than $40k. If you income is between $40k and $50k, your deduction is limited. If you income is more than $50k, your contribution will be non-deductible in total.

If you are single, or Head of Household, your AGI limitations are:

1. Less than $25k - Fully Deductible IRA
2. Between $25k and $35k - Partially Deductible
3. Over $35k - Totally non-deductible.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement