No. of Recommendations: 13
A noted cancer researcher once told my wife that despite his lifetime of efforts looking into the causes and cures of one of life's surest killers, he himself would not want to live forever. "The idiocy of my fellow man would eventually drive me insane," he said.

I'm reminded of this in the wake of the Berkshire annual shareholders' meeting. I know that Buffett says he is pleased with the generally high quality of questions during the annual Q&A session. But it's the "Why don't you invest in technology?" crowd that would eventually drive me insane. And it's not that I think all technology investing is crazy. No, what I find most bizzare is that these people think they have some standing to give Buffett advice on investing.

I just don't understand what goes on in the mind of a person who would stand up in front of thousands of people and offer investment advice to a man who has acquired tens of billions of dollars solely on his ability to invest money. Maybe it's just very hard for people to fathom such success. Maybe Buffett's "awe shucks" manner fools people into thinking he's just like their neighbor and would welcome a little kindly help. I suppose this is the sort of person who would offer advice to Tiger Woods after their own particularly good year on the golf course. "You know, Tiger, I noticed you missed that fairway. If I might offer one little suggestion..." Strange.

Fortunately, I can still get a chuckle out of this stuff. But if I live for another hundred years or so it may not seem so funny any more.

Best,
CM
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement