UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: elann Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 252553  
Subject: Re: YEY question Date: 2/21/2013 10:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
People come in with different backgrounds, and abilities.

I imagine you have a computer back ground, so it is easy for you to learn that. I don't have much of a computer background. It could take me 15 or more times longer for me to learn it than you.

I have a math background, so maybe I could learn topology quicker than you could.

I also have a math background. And I've done computer programming. I used to be very good with FORTRAN and PL/1. Those skills have absolutely nothing to do with building backtests in gtr1. There is no computer programming involved. There are some hard to follow instructions available for gtr1 which, if I had to rely on them, I could never translate into a valid test. And there are numerous examples of tests created by Robbie and others, which are reasonably easy to decipher. There are ready made examples for all the standard screens. Understanding them and perhaps modifying them slightly to suit your needs is not rocket science. Don't look for lazy excuses.

There's nothing wrong with starting out with a standard backtest at backtest.org, but gtr1 is immensely more valuable and worth the effort for something you're going to put your hard earned money into.

Elan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement