UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: readyteddy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63052  
Subject: Re: Oopss....error...error Date: 10/29/2009 11:34 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
People in government frequently have a defined benefit plan and a defined contribution plan and exceptional healthcare benefits. Even with these things, highly trained professionals who are top shelf in terms of talent are underpaid relative to those in private industry.

At the middle level, however, this combination of benefits is very powerful. I should know. While I never worked for the government (except for the army, which was not my idea), I had all those benefits we usually associate with government.

Now the army, it didn't pay so good. Let's see, I had housing (12 to a room) and healthcare, but as a drafted college graduate infantryman, between 1969 and 1971, I earned a total of $4,586. That's the total pre tax for two years, and it includes a night job as a bartender for one year. I was a Sergeant E-5 with eight direct reports who sometimes carried live ammunition, but I digress...

My real job for years was in an industry where the stars can earn eight figure incomes at a young age and even the clerks get paid enough to live in New York. My employer didn't have the revenues to support that kind of compensation but they took care of us with fringe benefits; pension, 401K with matching of the first 6% and health benefits I never paid a dime for.

As a result of all this, the amount in my tax deferred accounts as we speak is equal to an astonishing 78.75% of my reported Medicare earnings for my entire life! Yup, and I didn't pay one cent of taxes on any of it. That kind of compensation won't get you filthy rich, but it will get you pretty prosperous.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement