UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308232  
Subject: People may be dumber than we thought. Date: 7/15/2012 6:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
It turns out, that, as insane though it may be, there are people out there who take pictures of their credit/debit cards, and post them.

Really. People take pictures of the brand-new credit card they have, and show it to all their friends via Facebook. "Hey! Look what I've got!"

There is a new Twitter account set up to display all these pictures, and apparently is actually meant to tell people just how stupid they are.

There are some other stupid things people do that can lead to credit destruction and/or robbery.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-stupid-things-ruin-credit...

And a related article:

http://www.credit.com/blog/2012/02/after-a-decline-identity-...

Really. People post pictures of their credit and debit cards. I wonder what the bank officers said when they found out.

Nancy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305587 of 308232
Subject: Re: People may be dumber than we thought. Date: 7/16/2012 7:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
It's hard to imagine a life so devoid of pleasure and news that the excitement of a new credit card creates an irresistible urge to post a picture of it, apart from the stupidity. Heh, I posted a couple of days ago about a laundromat, so perhaps I shouldn't talk ;-)

We travel a lot by RV, and DH uses free wifi at libraries, coffee shops, and, yes, laundromats to pay our bills--one of the no-no's in the article. I thought it was safe as he logs into our online bank, protected by https. Since we can be out of town for months at time, what are the alternatives short of paying someone to handle our bills? I do have an iPad and am using 3G at the moment from our campsite, but we haven't set up bill-paying on it. Is that any safer? We used to carry a huge satellite dish for our own wifi, but DH had a lot of problems with it--not to mention how much room it took up aboard our mini-motorhome and that it cost $60/month, and eventually he refused to use it any more.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305588 of 308232
Subject: Re: People may be dumber than we thought. Date: 7/16/2012 8:35 AM
I thought it was safe as he logs into our online bank, protected by https.

If I needed to login to sensitive websites from public hotspots, I would get a personal VPN.

Author: numbrel Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305589 of 308232
Subject: Re: People may be dumber than we thought. Date: 7/16/2012 9:38 AM
Recommendations: 5
I blame baby-proofing houses, redesigned play grounds, mandatory seat belts, and all the other safety changes to our society in the last 40 years. Dumb people just can't remove themselves from the gene pool as easily as before.

:)

Barbara

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305590 of 308232
Subject: Re: People may be dumber than we thought. Date: 7/16/2012 10:16 AM
I never pay bills via public wi-fi, only my home network. If I were on the road for a long time I would get a VPN.

Author: MetroChick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305592 of 308232
Subject: Re: People may be dumber than we thought. Date: 7/16/2012 11:00 AM
Recommendations: 2
Part of the problem is a lot of people assume they maintain ownership of data uploaded to a service provider (Facebook, gmail) simply because they have a login/password. And that's not always the case - sometimes you just have a service agreement but it's unclear who owns the data.

Another part is then assuming you truly control who can "see" the data.
For instance you might set things to "friends only" - but you don't know if your friend is downloading copies of pictures you've posted (or taking screen shots) and sharing them with others.

And both of these I think play a part in many people's comfort level with sharing which in parent/child relaationships could skew the child's level of what's personal versus public. If a kid gets used to their life constantly being broadcasted on a format like Facebook, that could effect their idea of "privacy" in the future.

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305599 of 308232
Subject: Re: People may be dumber than we thought. Date: 7/16/2012 1:35 PM
It turns out, that, as insane though it may be, there are people out there who take pictures of their credit/debit cards, and post them.

Really. People take pictures of the brand-new credit card they have, and show it to all their friends via Facebook. "Hey! Look what I've got!"

There is a new Twitter account set up to display all these pictures, and apparently is actually meant to tell people just how stupid they are.

There are some other stupid things people do that can lead to credit destruction and/or robbery.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/top-stupid-things-ruin-credit......
- Windowseat | Date: 7/15/2012 6:04:44 PM | Number: 305598

The stupidity of people NEVER surprises me. Was in the Military <Intelligence Related> for a number of years. Intelligence "Sting" Operations were usually successful.

Kahuna, CFA

Author: greenvillewolf Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305604 of 308232
Subject: Re: People may be dumber than we thought. Date: 7/16/2012 4:21 PM
Wow.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305632 of 308232
Subject: Re: People may be dumber than we thought. Date: 7/22/2012 10:43 AM
Recommendations: 1
It's hard to imagine a life so devoid of pleasure and news that the excitement of a new credit card creates an irresistible urge to post a picture of it, apart from the stupidity.

But it's not just ANY OLD credit/debit card. It's a vanity card, with my (dog/favorite soccer team/my own) picture on it!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement