UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (121) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757374  
Subject: Re: Is health care a right? Date: 10/11/2010 8:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
People on the left (and some on the right) claim that health care is a right. Think of the implications of this assertion. Let's suppose that no one was willing to be doctors, nurses, etc. If receiving health care is a right, then we have the right to force others to provide us with health care. You don't want to be a doctor? Too bad! I have a right!

I'm failing to comprehend this. ANY service job could be construed the same way. We have drafts for those who do not want to be a soldier in times of war - is that slavery as well? In some ways, I CERTAINLY think so, especially since it may be fully against someone's moral code.

What if no one wanted to be a police officer, a firefighter, a postal worker, etc.?

Due to the extremely loud commentary as of late regarding the firefighters who "allowed" the home of someone who did not pay their bill to burn to the ground, it seems as if quite a few people feel that they would be entitled to firefighting.

What if no one wanted to be a teacher? What if no one wanted to build or maintain any highways or infrastructure? What if, what if, what if???

However, that's not the case. There IS a shortage of nurses out there, and a lot of companies and causes have stepped up to provide scholarships to nursing schools, educate people about the careers, etc. To the best of my knowledge, no one has been drafted into being a medical professional.

Of the arguments out there, this one simply is a lot of noise and fury, signifying nothing, so far as I can see.

GSF
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (121) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement