Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 82345  
Subject: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 3:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I like freshly ground black pepper. I don't know why, but this spice just seems more robust when freshly ground, at least to me. I own a number of pepper mills, ranging in materials from plastic, to wood to metal. Some are battery powered. Many aren't worth diddly (mostly the plastic mills, and battery powered one I have isn't very good either.) Olde Thompson wood pepper mills probably enjoy the lion's share of the market in restaurants. I've owned a couple. I bought 1 from a restaurant supplier in St Louis, on my friend, Sandy's advice that they were considered the best in the industry. They do work pretty well, but I like this one that I bought 8 or 9 years ago quite a bit better - It is, hands down, the best pepper mill that I have ever owned or used: http://www.wmboundsltd.com/shopexd.asp?id=133

FWIW,
Bob
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77760 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 7:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I toss peppercorns in an old blade-style coffee grinder that I use for grinding spices. Nothing beats freshly ground pepper. It also does a great job on coarse grind, ideal for making homemade cheater pastrami.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77761 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 8:26 AM
Recommendations: 1
I toss peppercorns in an old blade-style coffee grinder that I use for grinding spices.

That's a good option! I've only tried it once, but it did a decent job.

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77762 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 8:45 AM
an old blade-style coffee grinder that I use for grinding spices.

I like using an 'lectric Mr Coffee grinder for grinding most spices - currently on sale for a buck off at K-Marts:
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_9990000006565211P?s...

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77763 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 8:56 AM
Nothing beats freshly ground pepper.

Da problem wid pre-ground black pepper is dat da oils in da peppercorn quickly evaporate and it loses much of its taste.
;-(

C.J.V. - don’t use much black pepper but lots of different red peppers, me

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77764 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 9:03 AM
I also had a cheap hand crank tea grinder that I picked up in Taiwan that worked pretty well for grinding spices as well as tea leaves. The William Bounds pepper mill remains the best pepper mill that I've tried.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77767 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 12:11 PM
Looks like a nice one. We picked up a decent one also (forget where). I believe the grinder is ceramic.

Don't want to use spinning blades (on spices or coffee) as it acts like a centrifuge and removes the oils.

There is always this: http://www.everythingkitchens.com/frieling-granite-mortar-an...

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77772 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 3:18 PM
Recommendations: 0
I dated a girl named Pepper Mills for a while back when I was in college.

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77775 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 3:29 PM
http://lifehacker.com/5940934/use-a-cordless-power-drill-in-...

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77776 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 3:30 PM

I bet... No, no, nevermind. I just can't.

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77777 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 3:34 PM
http://lifehacker.com/5940934/use-a-cordless-power-drill-in-...

The commenters on that lifehacker article take themselves WAY too seriously. I doubt the people who know them take them that seriously.

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77778 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 3:36 PM
I'll have you know that a lot of time and effort went into my comment, thank you very much.

Ok, I didn't actually comment on it.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77779 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 3:42 PM
I'll see your Pepper Mills and raise you a Pepper Pots.

:-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pepper_P.jpg

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77780 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 3:48 PM

I bet... No, no, nevermind. I just can't.

Let's see... you bet she was a real gr.... Ooops. Sorry. Family board here.

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77781 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 3:49 PM
I'll have you know that a lot of time and effort went into my comment, thank you very much.

Well, YOUR comment on that article was very insightful. It was those other guys I was talking about. <cough>

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77783 of 82345
Subject: Re: Pepper Mills Date: 10/8/2012 4:58 PM
Lots of great ideas there, James - Thanks very much!!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement