UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: orchidman16 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189506  
Subject: Re: False Positives On AVG 8.5 Free Date: 10/15/2009 8:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Perhaps someone has written a virus to make AVG do weird stuff?
This was my first thought a well. Or rather it could be malware masquerading as AVG. You know, just click this link to fix this problem...
A scan with MBAM couldn't hurt. Updating to AVG 9 or Avast also sounds like a good idea.

Kurt
========================================

This afternoon just as suddenly as it arrived the problem disappeared and AVG no longer put up signs stating that different sites and even some Posts here and on other forums were "untrusted". I ran a complete anti-virus check and then a scan with MBAM and all was reported as clean but I decided to remove AVG 8.5 and re-install AVG Free Version 9.

No problem with the uninstall, downloaded the new version 9 and installed easily. But email would not work. A check of AVG noted that Outlook rather than Outlook Express was the designated emailer of choice and try as I may I could not change this from Outlook to OE.

Went on the Internet and found that to allow Outlook Express it is necessary to make a "custom" installation and make a check which will allow for your "personal mailer" as well as Outlook.

So reinstalled and this time did the custom install and - eureka - all is well.

Of course as usual it took several hours and a good deal of aggravation. Have been using computers since about 1989 and long ago learned the truth of my lovely wife's comment that a computer is like a husband, can't live with and can't live without.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and comments.

I don't post here too often but I do read this excellent site daily.

Orchidman16
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement