No. of Recommendations: 2
Perhaps that is worthwhile for people. I'm raising the question of the values that are being promoted by this kind of program.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily bad, but it might be.

The concept reminds me of organizations that give work clothes/interview clothes for free or at reduced cost to people trying to break out of the welfare/unskilled job cycle. You need a decent outfit to go to interviews in, and to make the dress code at some of the better jobs (or good work boots for construction), but if you can't afford the clothes, you can't get the job.

Frugality can address getting those clothes for cheap (once you have the money to BUY them), and making them last. If this organization is wise, they'll teach a bit about maintaining the car properly and driving it as long as possible- paying CASH for the next one or at least very minor debt, working toward that goal.

Needing work clothes doesn't have to mean going to the mall and buying whatever they have on the front display. Needing transportation (and many jobs will ASK what kind of transportation you will use), does not mean leasing a brand new vehicle either.

I don't agree with those who say it's okay to work a professional office job in grubbies- the quality of your work is what matters, but that argument only stands once you've proven yourself to an employer. And unless you are in the heart of a large city, if it comes out you are going to use public transit to get to your job, it will count against you on your application.

I've no problem with credit, if it is used as a TOOL- not a crutch or a lifestyle. How you use it, is of course a matter of choice and education- but to pay cash, you first have to earn the cash- and sometimes the good jobs available are not close to the bus line.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement