UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: g2fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1856  
Subject: Perkin Elmer (PKI) Date: 3/4/2002 7:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I hope I am in the right board. I am interested in what people think about an instrumentation company (loosely tied to biotech) called Perkin Elmer (PKI). They just got hammered last week when they announced a restructuring and lowered their earnings estimates. PKI was tracking sort of with biotech indexes prior to this event. I inherited the stock when PKI bought out (late 2001) an IPO I got involved in called Packard Biosystems (PBSC). Does anyone know what the deal is with PKI? Are they expected to recover (analysts seem to think they were basically a strong buy with a target of about $47)? What are their long term prospects?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1832 of 1856
Subject: Re: Perkin Elmer (PKI) Date: 3/4/2002 10:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I hope I am in the right board.

The Biotechnology Board would be the most appropriate for your questions. It has a very knowledgeable and articulate group of participants.

Sheila

Author: TMFTom9 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1833 of 1856
Subject: Re: Perkin Elmer (PKI) Date: 3/12/2002 7:54 AM
But this board is hardly chopped liver. ;-) T9

Author: ElricSeven Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1834 of 1856
Subject: Re: Perkin Elmer (PKI) Date: 3/12/2002 9:17 AM
PKI has had kind of an interesting relationship with a previous incarnation of Applera, which used to be Applied Biosystems, which used to be PECorporation which was the original owner of Perkin Elmer. I've never quite understood the exact details of the deal that resulted in the migration of the name to PKI, but would be interested if anyone knows exactly how this all came about. I know that it was part of ABI's effort to recast itself as being more of a biotechnology supply company instead of a generalized chemistry supply company. Must be an interesting story.

At first I thought PKI might be like that bad Arnold movie "Twins" where ABI is Arnold and PKI was Danny Devito, the low yield "genetic garbage" of the two twins. It is a fairly common corporate occurrence ot spin off slower growing assets, however, I believe that only the name and some assets were purchased.

Anyone have a better idea of what happened?

E007

Author: bjanssen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1842 of 1856
Subject: Re: Perkin Elmer (PKI) Date: 7/4/2002 2:14 AM
Recommendations: 3
Hi Greg et al

I know this is an old reply but anyway Greg had it pretty much right Applera used to be Perkin Elmer cetus in the deep dark distant past. Cetus was the company that bought some of the original PCR patent Roche got the rest.

Then Perkin ELmer dropped the Cetus part of the name.

Then Perkin Elmer swollowed Applied biosystems which made really sexy sequencing machines and had a really really strong brand identity. After some time the GMs at Perkin Elmer finally realised that the ABI name was stronger than the PE name and did this really tricky deal where the company that bought Packard got to get the Perkin Elmer name but no rights to PCR and none of the sexy equipment and what finally became Applera was born.

Of course it turned out that Applera was still not as stroing a brand as ABI which now sort lives as a wholely owned subsidery of Applera but trades on it's own name as an excellent equipment manufacturer.

Meanwhile the company that became Perkin Elmer got stuck with Packard equipment which had a reputation as the ugly girl who never got any prom dates with the cool jocks but occassionally got invited to chess tournements with the chemistry club. Seriously Packard built it's reputation making analytical equipment for chemists. there was a brief and sad foray into microarray equipment which was bought out by Agilent which was really odd because it was the worst piece of .... on the market.

Nowadays my Perkin Elmer catalog has some very nice stuff in it particularly the NEN portion which makes fluorescently labelled nucleotides used in most microarray experiments and also radioisotope labelled compounds. It seems to me that the company is trying to get a focus on detection systems where they make the label that is incorperated into the biological sample and then make the equipment to detect that label. I personally think they are more successful at the former.

The other big part of PE is Wallac which I really don't have as much familiarity with since it never really entered the NZ market. My impression is that Wallac was a generic equipment supplier but I could be badly wrong.

As for investing in PE, well it seems to me to have some good bits and some not so good bits. NEN has a really strong brand name in Molecular biology circles and is very trusted. My feeling is that PE will rise and fall in parallel with the generic biotech market. they have been and still are a supplier to biotech. They'll not really get the huge payoffs that a drug discoverer might but they equally won't get hammerred at the slightest whiff of FDA problems. Not a bad pick and shovel company but honestly there are more exciting companies with more innovative approaches.

Anyway I gotta run which means I can't check this for typos.

cheers
Bart

PS I like liver

Author: LakeEffect Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1856 of 1856
Subject: Re: Perkin Elmer (PKI) Date: 5/16/2013 11:46 AM
I am interested in what people think about an instrumentation company (loosely tied to biotech) called Perkin Elmer (PKI). What are their long term prospects?

In May of 2013, they will trade at 32.49, up $20 since March, 2002.

le, not a real time traveller

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement