UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jbc222 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 188739  
Subject: persistent program Date: 1/23/2013 10:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am running XP with Avast antivirus and Online Armor firewall. Almost every time I start or awaken my computer, the firewall asks me if I want to block GoogleUpdateSetup.exe. I always answer yes and remember my decision. I have done a search and found the offending item and deleted it multiple times, but it keeps coming back. I am not using Google for my searches, nor Google Chrome as a browser. Any ideas on how to get rid of this?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tketola Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183488 of 188739
Subject: Re: persistent program Date: 1/23/2013 11:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Hey jbc22,,,,

"I have done a search and found the offending item and deleted it multiple times, but it keeps coming back. I am not using Google for my searches, nor Google Chrome as a browser. Any ideas on how to get rid of this?"

Well first of all, you must be using, or did use, Google something, in order for the Google-Update-Prog, to be scheduled to run!!!

Don't know what you are Searching for and Deleting but, just go to Add-Remove Programs in control Panel, and uninstall, anything Google.

Then Download, Install and Run CCleaner. From here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Then go to CCleaner--> Registry, "Scan for Issues" and Fix all Issues it finds.

Then go to CCleaner---> Tools---> Startup

You should NOT see anything from Google there, if you do, Disable or Delete the Entry.

TK...

Author: mmrmnhrm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183489 of 188739
Subject: Re: persistent program Date: 1/23/2013 8:28 PM
Well first of all, you must be using, or did use, Google something, in order for the Google-Update-Prog, to be scheduled to run!!!

Hardly. One of the number one ways for trojans to escape detection is to masquerade as a legitimate program. Everybody trusts Google, so why wouldn't you run their update program?

Author: tketola Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183490 of 188739
Subject: Re: persistent program Date: 1/23/2013 9:47 PM
Hey mmrmnhrm,,,

Everybody trusts Google, so why wouldn't you run their update program?

Hmmm, well maybe so, but the OP sure didn't,,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL...

TK...

Author: jbc222 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183497 of 188739
Subject: Re: persistent program Date: 1/24/2013 4:16 PM
TK-
Thanks for the suggestions. I had already tried Add/Remove programs and could not find anything. Also I ran CCleaner a few days ago and cleaned up the registry. I just looked under Startup in CClesner and found 4 entries under the Google Chrome tab. I forgot to mention that I do use G Mail occasionally, so I left that one enabled, but disabled the other 3. So we'll see what happens now.
Thanks again.
Jim

Author: jbc222 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183501 of 188739
Subject: Re: persistent program Date: 1/25/2013 10:48 AM
I've now disabled (in CCleaner) all items that are Google related, but the problem continues, One thing I don't understand is why my firewall program does not remember my decision about not allowing GoogleUpdateSetup past the firewall. Any ideas?
Jim

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183506 of 188739
Subject: Re: persistent program Date: 1/25/2013 11:21 AM
Just because it has Google in the name does not mean Google ever had anything to do with it.

What anti-malware programs have you run?

You should (if you haven't already) run at least MalwareBytes. And maybe SuperAntiSpyware.

Author: tketola Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183523 of 188739
Subject: Re: persistent program Date: 1/25/2013 4:07 PM
Hey jbc222,,,

Well, there are lots of possibilities there. It's starting to sound like you may have some Malware in your system or you Online Armor Firewall is playing Tricks with you or just not working correctly, or the way you expect it to!!!

OK, I don't know much about your Online Armor Firewall but, I would walk through all the Configuration Options and Advanced Mode Options in Armor, to make sure you have selected all the proper options, relative to the way you want or are expecting it to work.

If the only thing you are using in Google is the GMAIL, on the Web, then I don't know why you would need anything Google or Google/Updater, on your System, period.

This is what I would do, if the Armor Options don't correct the problem:

- Boot-Up in Safe Mode, as Admin;

- Run a full scan in you Avast AV program, and delete anything it finds;

- Run MalwareBytes, in full scan, and delete anything it finds. If you don't have it or don't know if you have the latest Version, download it from here:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/...

- If the AV and MalwareByte's Scans didn't find anything???

- Then In Control Panel--> Add Remove Programs or in CCleaner--> Tools--> Uninstall. Uninstall Anything and Everything relative to Google;

- In Windows Explore, go into C:/Program Files and Delete any Google Sub-Directories, and in C:/Users/[user-name]/AppData/Local/ Delete any Google named Sub-Directory and it's Sub-Directories.
Then repeat the same process for C:/Users/[user-name]/AppData/LocalLow/ and C:/Users/[user-name]/AppData/Roaming/

- Then go into CCleaner --> Registry, and run it with all Check-Boxes Checked, and Fix Everything;

- Then go into CCleaner--> Tools --> Startup and Disable or Delete anything Google.

Then do a Normal Boot, and see what happens???

Also, don't worry about removing all and any Google Stuff, Google will re-establish it self as soon you go and Invoke any Google Functions/Apps that you use.

Just my 2 Cents....

TK...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement