UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BenHacker Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35367  
Subject: Re: Help Valuing Bonds Date: 3/30/2011 2:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Persistentone,

On the treatment of bonds in bankruptcy. In general, seniority is all that matter, but that is not always the case.

Maturities can most certainly be taken into account by a judge, especially if influencial stakeholders own either near, or longer term issues. Also, coupon is almost always taken into account from what I have seen (although my sample size is small) in terms of the post bankruptcy interest accrued for each bond.

To give you one reference that I think will help you, see the following:

http://www.northernfinance.org/2010/NFAPapers2010/papers/68....

Page 14, "Motivated by the fact that bonds of the same seniority are usually grouped into one claim class regardless of coupon and maturity at bankruptcy resolution, we assume that bonds of the same seniority at
default have the same recovery rate."
-- Note: See also see Guha (2003) and Cantor and Varma (2005)

I can't remember the details, but I recently saw a Ch 11 resolution where near term maturities were given more cash out in the restructuring while longer term issues received more equity in the recapped company. Not sure how unusual this was, but it does happen, and it all is determined by who has a seat at the table and what the judge deems as fair... and who is putting up money for the recap.

My 2 cents... there are no hard rules in Ch11.

Ben
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement