Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19222  
Subject: Re: Life Date: 2/12/2014 10:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
Personally, as an atheist I'm not interested in consuming as much in the way of luxuries as I can.

I'm not certain how atheism relates to enjoying or refraining from luxuries.

To me, luxuries are like a spice, to be used judiciously to enhance life.

People are similar, but not identical. To many, your life is one continuous luxury as you don't need to worry where your next meal is coming from or how to deal with serious health issues. To some, your life is one of denial--missing out on travel, professional arts performances/exhibits, a loving spouse.

I don't need to make a pig of myself by trying out every sensation someone is promoting.

I don't think anyone tries everything, but many people try different things than you have. Like you, I enjoy cooking from scratch. Unlike you, I'm glad I've tried skiing, sailing, smoking weed, playing a musical instrument somewhat proficiently in numerous orchestras and chamber groups, a helicopter ride over Kauai, bush planes over the Okavango Delta (cue the music from Out of Africa-), experiencing new places, new foods, nice wine. I especially enjoy being married...the continuous companionship with my best friend, frequent sex with someone who knows what I like and vv, the wonder of this handsome man actually wanting to be with me, his look of wonder & joy that I want him too. I would do without anything, even adequate money, rather than do without love. Which reminds me what a luxury it was that my children lived long enough to know well all of their grandparents and 2 of their great-grandparents.

ASIDE
Current luxuries I'm enjoying…...watching the Winter Olympics on my brother's 65" plasma TV (as a thank-you, I'm cooking dinner for him every day, and thanking me back, he shoved a $100 bill in my hands for fixing nicer meals than he enjoys on his own), reading Robin Hood fan fiction (based on the recent BBC series) online for free, listening to my favorite music from film scores for free on Youtube. And the luxury of no debt, owning my home and RV, wondering how to invest the money from expiring CDs (it's a luxury to have such a worry), and knowing I leave good children and grandchildren behind when I shuffle off this mortal coil. As usual, this morning the hubster fixed us breakfast in bed after inquiring what I would like today. He smiled with the pride of doing esteemed service as he entered the bedroom, placed the tray of homemade lattes, buckwheat pancakes with homemade blueberry sauce, and banana-kefir smoothies, and snuggled next to me. I glowed in appreciation and love. And turned on the heated mattress pad as it's chilly this morning. And now we have the luxury of surfing the web before I get back to another delicious story of Lady Marian and Sir guy of Gisborne--and the Olympics (I wonder, has anyone written a modern-day fanfic of Sir GUy doing archery at the Summer Olympics ;-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Not Cheering the Shire Deal
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement