UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7258  
Subject: Re: investment clubs Date: 3/17/2009 8:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Personally, I would be very suspect as to the motives of the person that approached you. I belong to an investment club and I am the 'portfolio manager' or 'chief investment officer' or whatever you want to call it - and yes, they compensate me. However, I didnt ask them, they asked me and, at times, I regret accepting. To me, it's a hobby as I have my 'real' job. Our partnership agreement specifically states that my compensation is based solely on our profits. No profits, no compensation... and they dont compensate me much anyway.

I did my homework to determine if it would be legal for me to act in this capacity: I talked to my lawyer, I called my state's Attorney General's office (Securities Division), etc. Yes, it is legal for me to act in that capacity as long as 1) the club has less than 100 members and 2) the club's balance is less than $25 million. We began in December 2008 with 12 partners, each partner made a capital contribution of $1000 and we are off and rocking.

Kudos to you for going the distance and learning exactly what your state's rules are regarding compensated advisors. Each state sets its own rules -- some are more restrictive than yours.

What's missing from your post (perhaps because you were writing from your own perspective), is whether the rest of the club did its own due diligence before asking you to advise them.

Failure to do due diligence is an open invitation to being scammed.

Ira
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Starting a Club
Learn how to start and run your own club, the Motley Fool way!
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement