No. of Recommendations: 5
Personally, I wouldn't go overboard paying for the kids' education. Help out if you want, take care of tuition, but running yourself ragged to pay for their room and board is not something I'd recommend. First off, you have bills to pay, and quite possibly a retirement to fund. As Dayana Yochim noted in her prize-that-I-just-made-up-winning article "College vs. Retirement? Retirement Wins":
http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05072234.htm

There are lots of ways to pay for school -- loans, financial aid, the Coverdell ESA, 529 plans and prepaid tuition are a parent's retirement plan saviors. And there are other choices for cash-strapped students pursuing an education (put it off, attend a cheaper junior college for a few years, apply for a work-study program).

On the other hand, there's no retirement scholarship -- no PELL grant for senior citizens or scholarships to gain entry into Sunset Years Retirement Village. If you don't have money for retirement, guess what? You can't retire.

Before you set up your child's golden future, pay off high-interest debt, establish an emergency fund, get adequate insurance, and beef up your retirement savings. After those items are crossed off your list, you can start spoiling the youngsters.

Also, I think letting Junior fed for him/herself is an important step toward the adult world. I worked part-time for living expenses, and took out a mess of student loans to pay tuition and cover for lost wages, and I think that it made me try harder. If I failed a class, I'd have to pay for it again. If I slacked off and couldn't get the job I wanted when I graduated, I'd have a much harder time making ends meet. Of course, fifty people at one school aren't exactly a scientific sample, but the people in my program who worked and paid their own way generally got much better grades than those whose parents paid for everything.

Finally, as for the HELOC, you might want to look at the rates on Stafford loans right now. Last I checked, Stafford rates were lower than for HELOC's, and you don't have to stake your home on it. If your income levels allow, Junior might get a subsidized loan, so that s/he isn't accruing interest while in school. The kid will be responsible for paying after graduation, not you, and if that's too much of a pinch, there are plenty of consolidators who will be willing to lock in the interest rate and stretch the payments out for 20-30 years. I borrowed about $50,000, and I only pay $254 a month. Bear in mind also that your more expensive "name-brand" schools have strong alumni foundations that provide copious scholarships. (I'm told that Harvard students are approached on graduation morning by their classmates, and asked to tithe a portion of their future earnings to their school. What does this add up to? An $80 MILLION scholarship fund in 2004.)

--
LaughingRaven
Don't bother me, I'm Ferberizing.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement