No. of Recommendations: 0
Personally, I'm swinging my investments away from a mediocre set of funds managed by Vantagepoint (ICMA Retirement Corp.), and more toward individual stocks in a Roth IRA.

However, I would recommend you pay attention to, and ask questions about two main areas; (1) performance and (2) fees.

Performance: Be aware that past performance has no bearing on what you'll do in the future, but it gives you a benchmark to compare to. You can compare funds to those offered by either other deferred comp. plans or to numerous other investment vehicles. My employer makes more than on plan provider available to us, and you may have more than one available. If the fund your thinking about isn't doing as well as the Dow, consider investing in an index fund. They generally have much lower fees.

Fees: here's where it can get interesting. Each fund will charge you a certain percentage of your money to administer the plan (invest your money). Fees vary within a plan, and if you choose a low fee index fund within a plan, you may do quite a bit better over the long run by plowing more of YOUR money into the investments instead of the fund manager's pocket.

HTH.

Fees:
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement