No. of Recommendations: 2
Peter,

"No one says you have to buy the target date fund for the actual date of your retirement, or for your actual age. You can buy a fund for someone 5 or 10 or 15 years younger than you are if you want a larger allocation to stocks."

Certainly, however the youngest funds available were for 25 yo's with 25% in bonds. Their growth was anemic in good market conditions.

If I had invested in target date funds, we would probably be retiring this year or in the future. We did not invest in TD funds and retired in 2005.

No one can convince me we made a mistake in shunning TD funds. Our portfolio was the primary source of income (about 90%) until I started SSA as a supplement at 62 for me.

Gene
All holdings and some stats on my profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement