Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

thank you for assistance.

I talked with someone from Vanguard and they said they could do it. So then I called American Enterprise (the current company) and they said that there was absolutely no way they could do such a thing because it is illegal. I then called Vanguard back and talked to a different person. He said that I would have to first get it transferred to my name and then they would put it into an "inherited IRA account." I would have 60 days to complete the transfer to avoid the tax hit. However, I would still have to withdraw the money within 5 years.

You said that most financial institutions would be willing to do this. Could you or anyone else give me the name of one?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.