UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1967376  
Subject: Petraeus: Nation at Risk? Date: 11/13/2012 12:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Petraeus Sex Scandal: Does It Put the Whole Nation at Risk?

http://tinyurl.com/ausvtfu

There are a ton of crazy sordid details in this drama - all at the above link but I wanted to focus on just one part:

•"Classified" material has been found on Paula Broadwell's computer, but both Petraeus and Broadwell deny that it came from him.

-----------

So we know he resigned. Is there anyone that thinks he should not have resigned?

If there is the potential for serious security leaks, should this perhaps not set a new precident?

Should the expectation going forward be that individuals in very sensitive positions (including POTUS) resign for the good of the country when they are caught in a situation that might compromise national security?

Should he have been fired if he refused to resign?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1836324 of 1967376
Subject: Re: Petraeus: Nation at Risk? Date: 11/13/2012 2:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
So we know he resigned. Is there anyone that thinks he should not have resigned?

If there is the potential for serious security leaks, should this perhaps not set a new precident?

Should the expectation going forward be that individuals in very sensitive positions (including POTUS) resign for the good of the country when they are caught in a situation that might compromise national security?

The single scariest part to me is that NONE of this came up during his vetting process to be CIA director. When he was in Afghanistan his staff supposedly warned him about some of his behavior...which means the CIA background check people should have found out about it.

Which means the following possibilities are in play:

1. They never found out about it and the vetting process blew it. This is scary. Who knows how many other potentially compromised people there are running around the government in sensitive positions? If they can't vet the CIA director, who can they vet?

2. They DID know about it and kept it quiet. That doesn't serve anybody well, and opens up a can of worms as to why they'd sit on that information.

Neither possibility points to anything good.

Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1836340 of 1967376
Subject: Re: Petraeus: Nation at Risk? Date: 11/13/2012 3:39 PM
Recommendations: 0
Surprised, though I should not be, by the amount of crickets for this question.

No liberals want to take a position on resign or terminate?

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1836374 of 1967376
Subject: Re: Petraeus: Nation at Risk? Date: 11/13/2012 5:03 PM

I think a lot more should happen to you if you're the CIA Director and you're caught in an affair and that person has access to classified info - which they'll probably be able to trace back to where ever it came from.

You should also face consequences if you're military or part of US intelligence organizations or Reserve, and gain access to classified information that you shouldn't have and don't alert anyone in your chain of command that there's obviously been a security breach.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1836548 of 1967376
Subject: Re: Petraeus: Nation at Risk? Date: 11/14/2012 11:40 AM
Hawkwin says

Surprised, though I should not be, by the amount of crickets for this question.

It's a boring question.

No liberals want to take a position on resign or terminate?

First, the great majority of classified material is either trivial and meaningless or ought to be declassified. And a lot of what's left is only classified because it might embarrass somebody.

Don't worry, kids, the Nation is not At Risk from this.

Second, if people start resigning or getting fired for leaking bits of this Klassified Kibble, there'll soon be no one left to mind the store.

There is no story here.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement