No. of Recommendations: 2
phalanx001: "My AGI is above the 150,000 max for Roth IRAs. Moreover, I contribute the maximum to my 401(k). This effectively eliminates traditional IRAs."

Not entirely. You could still make an annual contribution to a traditional IRA, which contribution would not be deductible, but which would shelter growth tax free until withdrawal.

Unless you plan on holidng income generating assets, many believe that long-term investing in equities (that you can hold for several years, at least) is better taxwise because LT capital gains receive favorable tax treatment (and you control their recognition) and dividends receive

"Are there any available retirement vehicles that provide other tax breaks? For example, my wife is a full-time student - can I setup a sheltered Spousal IRA?"

I believe that you could open a traditioanl IRA for your wife and that the annual contribution would be deductible, but please confirm the deductibility with your tax advisor. Because of your AGI, I do not beieve that she couldhave a Roth IRA.

Regards, JAFO

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.