Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I think (with out giving any tax advise) the answer to your first question is ref # is your account number with the brokerage firm. If its optional you could save the ink and fogetaboudit!

Your broker is the withholding agent. I think it works as follows: the broker gets your dividend and puts it in your account. At that time the broker sees if they need to take some of that money and send it to the IRS.

The same with a stock sale. Your BROKER is the one to do the wirhholdings and not the individual company.

Fool on
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.