UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1488  
Subject: Phillipines Date: 10/17/2003 3:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
VesperLynd posted a good link about the Phillipines. This is on post 128081 on another board.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/981015g.cfm

It should be appropriate for Retire Well on Less.

Blackduff
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 133 of 1488
Subject: Re: Phillipines Date: 10/17/2003 3:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sorry that my spelling has gone to the dogs. It should be Philippines and not as I wrote of Phillipines.

Sorry

Blackduff

Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 134 of 1488
Subject: Re: Phillipines Date: 10/17/2003 5:33 AM
Recommendations: 0
VesperLynd posted a good link about the Phillipines. This is on post 128081 on another board.

This should be at Retire Early Home Page. I seem to have an amount of problem in getting this post today.

Blackduff

Author: torobravo2003 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 136 of 1488
Subject: Re: Phillipines Date: 10/17/2003 11:29 PM
Recommendations: 2
That article is 100% correct. While I am not retired, I live and work in Jakarta and once you get use to this life, you can never go back. Imagine NEVER cleaning your house, NEVER driving a car (here we have drivers for about US$100 month), NEVER cleaning the table after dinner, NEVER cooking, and dining out for two for about US$10-15 for a nice international meal. So you think you have a lot of free time. Wrong. Once you are free from the mundane, your life suddenly fills with projects that you have always wanted to do: reading, photography, socializing frequently, really managing your stocks and investments, etc. While it sounds a little scary to move to a foreign country, after about a year you realize you can never go back to the "old" life. And I have more friends in Jakarta than I ever thought of having in the U.S.

ToroBravo2003

Author: retireearlyboi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 141 of 1488
Subject: Re: Phillipines Date: 10/19/2003 4:49 PM
Toro writes:
>>>>>
That article is 100% correct. While I am not retired, I live and work in Jakarta and once you get use to this life, you can never go back. Imagine NEVER cleaning your house, NEVER driving a car (here we have drivers for about US$100 month), NEVER cleaning the table after dinner, NEVER cooking, and dining out for two for about US$10-15 for a nice international meal.
>>>>>

Thanks Toro. I would actually consider moving there. The PPP of Phillipines shows that it's currency is undervalued by about 50% relative to the dollar. This means that the dollar goes a long way there.

Question: Would it be possible to go to the Phillipines on vacation to scout it out? Are there short term furnished apartment rentals at reasonable rates (where I won't get taken for being a foreigner?) where one could sort of check out the lay of the land? I would be more interested in leaving near the sea in some sort of beach front community. I love Thailand and am doing some traveling there over the winter. Maybe I should put The Phillipines on my list for winter travel next year?

-reb

Author: Blackduff Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 158 of 1488
Subject: Re: Phillipines Date: 10/23/2003 12:53 PM
http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=8154238

This is a post from the Motley Fool UK about the Philippines.

To say the banks were not receptive would be an understatement. Even though my wife is Filipina, with interest rates at 21% (yes, that is correct), there was almost no lending market. On top of that, the loan to value percentages were a max of about 60% - nobody was taking any risks. Essentially it was a cash market, with almost the only prospective buyers being foreigners.

This is from a thread about the Philippines on the TMF UK. You can back into the thread from here.

Blackduff

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement