Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Convinced to stick with The Plan (my plan) I have sold so many of my holdings when they reached my target prices + 10-20%, that I find myself short of investments and uncharacteristically, investing ideas.

Phillips 66 is 19% off its 52-week high and currently sports a P/E of 7.1 and a dividend of 2.12% (payable tomorrow.) This downstream energy company with a Mcap of $35b is rated 4 stars by S&P, 3 stars by Morningstar and 8/10 by Reuters. Earnings are expected to remain flat for the next 2 quarters, earning $2.23 and $2.15 for Q2 & Q3 respectively. LT Debt/Equity is 0.3 and the payout ratio is 12.3.

My method for building positions is simple; I ask myself what the product demand will be in 5 years and how sure I am of my guesstimate. I set up a worst-case scenario to estimate the risk of loss of substantial capital. PSX currently meets all my low hurdles but not nearly in the realm of MUST BUY NOW. If the stock price continues to fall, I will build up the position accordingly. If not, it’s still a win, just less than it could have been.

Disclosure: No position, considering beginning a small position (maybe 100 shares) @ ~$56.00. Not a screaming buy but I have more faith right now in pricing strength for oil, biotech and healthcare than most other products and am sitting on a (too-) high percentage of cash. There are also many P66 stations near me, all of them busy and constant reminders of the strength of energy pricing. I am long COP, CVX and still studying a small O&G support company.

Feel free to talk me out of this. Short of great companies at fire-sale prices, which I'm not finding in my screens, I’m in no hurry to buy anything.

Dan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement