Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4868  
Subject: Philosophical question Date: 1/28/2002 9:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
What's the difference between a writer and a wannabe writer?

CK
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NylaB Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1187 of 4868
Subject: Re: Philosophical question Date: 1/28/2002 9:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
IMO, that is easy, A writer writes. I'll give you an example: my husband is a published writer. He writes at least three days a week (and sometimes if he is on a roll 7 days a week). He is a writer.

I am a published writer. I write maybe 3 days a month if I get around to it. I'm definately a wannabe writer. ;)

Author: Beejayw1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1188 of 4868
Subject: Re: Philosophical question Date: 1/28/2002 9:50 AM
Recommendations: 8

Ever seen the A&E production of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE starring Colin Firth? There's a scene where Lizzie is at Lady Catherine's mansion and playing on the pianoforte. Lady Catherine says, "You will never amount to much if you don't practice!"

Lizzie acknowledges that this is so, and Lady Catherine goes off on a dissertation about how Lizzie can come and practice - in a poor relation's rooms. Then she says, "I never learned to play, but -- if I had, I would have been a true proficient!"

Lady Catherine was a musician-wannabe.

So, IMHO, a wannabe writer is someone who doesn't write, but thinks he could if he just sat down to do so.

You don't have to be published to be a writer. You just have to write, to try to tell a story, to form words and sentences in the best way you can according to your skills and inclinations. If no one ever reads what you wrote (but what writer can resist an audience?), if you are only doing it for yourself, you're still a 'real' writer.

Just my thoughts.

Beej

Author: sturne01 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1189 of 4868
Subject: Re: Philosophical question Date: 1/28/2002 10:25 AM
Recommendations: 1
Interesting question:

Writer: Callouses on the backside; limited food in the pantry; house payment due; and a hunger to produce more.

Wannabe: Full pantry; no bills outstanding; and soft backside.

Now back under my rock.

Spence

Author: KenpoKate Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1190 of 4868
Subject: Re: Philosophical question Date: 1/28/2002 1:30 PM
Recommendations: 1

I think the answers posted already cover one aspect of the question: people who work/have worked to have the skills of writing verses people who don't/haven't.

I think there's another way this cuts. Among the people who can write, there are people who do it, and people who don't. I have one friend in particular who does make his living as a writer... one of those corporate jobs... but he doesn't accept himself as a 'real' writer. The reason for that is, he's not writing anything he likes. I get so sad for him because he has a fascinating life story, but instead of taking lessons from Frank McCourt about learning how to tell the story of his life, he wants to be Earnest Hemingway or D.H.Lawrence. He places no value on the stories he can tell best, so he doesn't write them.

Me - I have the skill to write, I enjoy it, I have made a living at it (in another one of those corporate jobs, but also as a tech writer)... but these days, I do most of my writing right here at the Fool. I don't make any money at it, but it keeps me putting words to screen!

- Anne

Author: sturne01 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1192 of 4868
Subject: Re: Philosophical question Date: 1/29/2002 10:26 AM
Recommendations: 3
KenpoKate

You started me thinking again...bad sign. Like you I grew up in a corporate/bureaucratic environment (28 years as a working biologist before retirement) where lots of writing was necessary, but most individuals came to the position well educated with lots of biological and scientific smarts, but poorly prepared to communicate via the written word.

And, I admit up front I was in the same boat with one exception. I had a bevy of friends who were professional writers, who took time to bleed all over my material. The challenged me. I took their critiques to heart and learned to write...still a hack, but that is another story.

When young budding biologists come to me and ask what courses they should take, I recommend several writing classes beyond Writing 101 required for all freshmen. Regardless of what field you end up in, a person who can write has a leg up on the competition.

A person who writes technical material for a corporation, is no less a writer that one who freelances and sells articles to magazines or where ever. The only difference is the competition.

I now write what I want, sell most, and joy the hell out of the life I've created as I pass through my sixth decade.

Damn Anne, you got me started again.

Now back under my rock.

Spence

Author: KenpoKate Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1193 of 4868
Subject: Re: Philosophical question Date: 1/29/2002 2:10 PM
Damn Anne, you got me started again.

Always a pleasure, Spence. Your bleeding writers took a toughful and interesting guy and gave him the education to express that in writing, and I get the benefit.

;-)

- Anne

Author: Romeogal Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1207 of 4868
Subject: Re: Philosophical question Date: 2/1/2002 9:33 AM
I have a motto (of my own creation) that I've taped on my monitor:
WRITE MORE ... WRITE WELL ... WRITE NOW. A wannabe will read this everyday and say "Yea, I've got to get going" and a writer will read this and start writing. I have to confess that I was stuck in the wannabe phase for a while but now I'm out and I look at my motto with excitement in my veins. Feel free to borrow.

Author: MarkHiatt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1208 of 4868
Subject: Re: Philosophical question Date: 2/1/2002 9:37 AM
Recommendations: 2
>
> I have a motto...
>

I love these. J.Michael Straczynski had one that I adopted as my own:

I want to write faster than anyone who can write better than me,
and better than anyone who can write faster than me.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement