UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 58804  
Subject: Photos from Mali Conflict Date: 2/27/2013 11:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013/02/mali-conflict-ent...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48119 of 58804
Subject: Re: Photos from Mali Conflict Date: 2/27/2013 12:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Wow. Makes me so glad I live in America. And also makes me wonder why we don't see anything like this on the MSM. Maybe I'm just not watching the right shows. I have heard snippets about the conflict but never seen any pictures (at least I can't remember seeing them.) I heard very little news about anything much while I was in Panama. I can see how someone who doesn't use the internet, who doesn't watch any news and may only see local papers, might be disconnected from the world. That's the way I felt in Panama. I was on the internet just a few hours a day and had to use that time to catch up on my email, etc. and many days I didn't use it at all. No TV. No radio. No newspaper. It was strange.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48120 of 58804
Subject: Re: Photos from Mali Conflict Date: 2/27/2013 3:36 PM
Recommendations: 0
"I was on the internet just a few hours a day and had to use that time to catch up on my email, etc. and many days I didn't use it at all. No TV. No radio. No newspaper. It was strange." - Lindytoes
-----------------------------

Well you'll be able to watch MSNBC and CNN when you visit us because that 27" old Symphonic is now in our guest room. Jacob just went home a few minutes ago. We got the new 47" HD Vizio hooked up in the living room. It's pretty nice. We hooked up the Roku box to it. The WiiFi that was in it had a hard time picking up enough signal to get Netflix in there so I just moved the ROKU box to the living room so I could stream Netflix to the new TV. I don't guess we need to stream Netflix in our bedroom. We all ready have cable TV and a DVD player in there.

See you next week! - Art

Author: rainphakir Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48121 of 58804
Subject: Re: Photos from Mali Conflict Date: 2/27/2013 6:06 PM
Recommendations: 3
a couple things I learned from this article:

1. The Askia Emperors:
Tomb of Askia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_Askia

Askia Mohammed was the first Askia emperor and greatly expanded the Songhai Empire. As a reverent Muslim, he felt obligated to make his pilgrimage to Mecca, which he returned from in 1495. He brought back with him the materials to make his tomb; all of the mud and wood came from Mecca. The caravan is said to have consisted of "thousands of camels." It was structured as a house, with several rooms and passageways and was sealed when Askia Mohammed died.

Askia Mohammed is the only one buried inside the tomb itself, but several other Askias are buried in the courtyard

2. And Timbuktu is located in Mali. I'm not sure where I thought it was before... maybe never really considered it?

But, it also reminded me of the contest:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jokes/read/387409/

:-)
ralph
This joke IN NO WAY is intended to make light of the trajedies occurring in Mali.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement