Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wolferd1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22211  
Subject: photos when traveling Date: 11/19/2012 10:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I will be traveling out of the country for about 10 days. I will not be carrying my laptop but would like some way to take photographs off the SD card. Having backups to the photos would be nice as well.

I'm sure this isn't a new question. Is there a best way to do this?

thanks,
wolferd
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JonathanRoth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20833 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/19/2012 11:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I don't know about best ...

1) You can purchase a device dedicated for providing mobile backup of images, the last time I checked a few years ago they ran in the range of $200-$500

2) Depending upon capacity, use an iPad or some other tablet

3) Depending upon connectivity, backup to a web site, such as Flickr or some other retail establishment

More exotic

4) Use a camera with two memory card slots :-)

Alternative to minimize potential loss

Use multiple cards so if one is lost not all of your pictures are lost.

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20834 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/20/2012 3:48 AM
I've mulled this over a long time, for the moment I'm still packing an older iBook, and download to that nightly...

Future plan, buy an eYeFi SD wifi card at the same time I buy an iPad, or mabe if/when I update my iHone and have more fee space, link that same EyeFi card to that... So no cord other than chargers is needed, they will pair whenever in range, so a bit simpler...

Else, skinny MacBook Air, similar linkage via wifi...

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20835 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/20/2012 3:49 AM
Oops, link...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3D...

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20836 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/20/2012 7:26 AM
Will you travel with a 30 pin connector iPad?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camer...

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: canonian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20838 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/20/2012 7:39 AM
Buy some extra memory cards. You photos are quite safe in the memory card, and you can use them in your camera to take more photos!!!

Author: grue22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20839 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/20/2012 10:31 AM
I always take my laptop along so that I can geotag and review my images, but I can understand not wanting to lug one around.

I agree that images on the memory card are probably safe. I've had cards fail in the past, but I've never had an SD card fail. <knocking on wood>

Portable hard drives with memory card readers exist, and I've used them in the past to copy multiple cards to the hard disk. However, memory card sizes have expanded so rapidly that the 20 GB portable drive that seemed so huge in the past is now sitting on a shelf, obsolete. If you want one, Amazon still sells them.
http://www.amazon.com/PicPac-Memory-Reader-Storage-7625/dp/B...

If you want to protect yourself from a card failure, another approach is to take two identical cards and back one up to the other, using a device like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Portable-Duplicator-Tester-EZ2USB/d...
You'll also need a couple of adapters:
http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-MicroMate-Memory-Reader-SDDR-1...

I'd back up the card every evening. (The device does a one-to-one copy, overwriting whatever was on the original. I've used this copier, and it worked fine.)

A pair of 32 GB cards should be plenty for most folks. (The most storage that I've needed was 45 GB for a 30 day trip. BTW, I always shoot raw images, and I highly recommend it. The extra storage is a small price to pay for the added dynamic range and resolution. With travel photography, most of the time I'll only have one chance to take the picture since I'll never return to that site again.)

Grue

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20840 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/20/2012 11:11 AM
I agree that images on the memory card are probably safe. I've had cards fail in the past, but I've never had an SD card fail.

Maybe I'm reading the OP differently, but I didn't think he was worried about card failure. I think it was more with card loss as in lost or stolen.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20841 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/20/2012 11:20 AM
Recommendations: 2
FWIW, I always take a laptop for just this purpose. Even if I am not going to use it for anything else, I pack the laptop and a USB cable to off-load my images.

Presently I try to keep the images on my card also, but if it gets full then I have to clear space. Which is why I'm looking to get a 64GB CF card soon. Then I can back-up to laptop AND keep on the card (redundancy is good!).

If you are adamant about no laptop then you either need some portable device (like others have linked), or get several cards and just change them out when they get full.

Author: grue22 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20842 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/20/2012 11:48 AM
If you are adamant about no laptop then you either need some portable device (like others have linked), or get several cards and just change them out when they get full.

If cards are outside of the camera, I need to be careful to keep track of them. As I said, I've never had an SD card fail, but I have misplaced them, and I've forgotten to retrieve the images off some of the cards.

One approach that's worked in the past is to designate two pockets in my camera bag. One holds blank cards, and the other only holds full cards. The problem with this approach is that if the camera bag is lost or stolen, I've lost all of the pictures.

Even if I transfer the full cards to my suitcase, I've still got a single point of failure. A lost suitcase takes with it all of the images. That's one of the reasons that I copy everything to my laptop. If I don't have my laptop, I'd probably take along some other means of backup.

BTW - I consider my pictures more valuable than my camera or my laptop. Both of those are just tools that can be replaced. The pictures can't be replaced.

Grue

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20843 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/20/2012 1:31 PM
Don't know where you are traveling, but if you are in a place where other folks have computers, you could just double the volume of cards. Then you would pay someone to copy your images from card #1 to Card #2.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: mjolah Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20844 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/20/2012 3:59 PM
"Don't know where you are traveling, but if you are in a place where other folks have computers, you could just double the volume of cards. Then you would pay someone to copy your images from card #1 to Card #2."

Or, if you have access to a computer, upload your images to box.net or dropbox (box.net give 50GB of cloud storage for free, and you can have multiple accounts for more storage, dropbox give a couple gigs for free, but 100GB is relatively cheap)

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20845 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/20/2012 5:45 PM
50GB??

I got interested so went and looked...

https://www.box.com/signup/o/default

5GB free (which isn't bad!)

For 50GB you pay $20. Per month.

Author: mjolah Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20846 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/21/2012 10:02 AM
I'm constantly getting emails from them indicating I can get (and give) 50gb on box. I have two accounts myself (one personal, one for a business) both completely free.... Both 50gb....

Must be I'm on the right email list or something.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20847 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/21/2012 10:25 AM
Or maybe you're grandfathered into a previous deal. I may sign-up anyway. Five GB is pretty good. Maybe they'll offer me free upgrades later.

Author: wolferd1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20848 of 22211
Subject: Re: photos when traveling Date: 11/21/2012 2:40 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Just for information, we are going to Israel if the the cease fire holds up for another month or two.

All things considered, I think I will just pick up a couple more memory cards for the camera. I won't have backups and will have to keep up with them, but I have never had a card fail and that just seems like a reasonable way to do it.

Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.
wolferd

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement