UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: room335 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76095  
Subject: Pick Apart My Retire Early Plan Date: 1/5/2000 12:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am a 46 year old professional with a spouse and two teenagers. My current salary is $115,000/year. My spouse is a manager and makes $50,000/year. I can retire at age 50 with a guaranteed lifetime annuity of 50% of my salary plus annual cost of living increases. There is little likelihood of layoffs or downsizing where I work, but on the other hand little likelihood of promotions or major salary increases.

I have a 401k plan which is totally invested in the S&P 500 index (currently the only investment option) and the current balance is $350,000. $15,000 deferred salary a year goes into the 401k. I currently live in one of the top 5 highest cost of living/state taxation states. My oldest child will start college in 2 years. My spouse and I have in addition the following assets: $100,000 in other IRA's; $1 million in stocks; $500,000 home equity. I have no equity position in my company and the stocks do not pay much of a dividend stream. I have a big mortgage. State income tax is over $10,000 a year. Cash stream is currently $165,000/year gross but mortgage and state taxes alone take about $60k/year.

At age 50, I assume I will make $120,000 a year and have $500,000 in my 401(k). I am planning to retire then which give me a 50% annuity of $60,000/year. Assuming I transfer my $500,000 401(k) balance to a 72(t), at 8%/yearly withdrawal for 10 years, I will have $40,000/year in 72(t) income.

I also plan to move to a lower cost of living state with little or no state income tax such as Nevada or Washington, pay cash for a house, and find employment at a salary goal of $50,000/year. The spouse plans not to work. This will still provide a cash flow of $150,000 a year, but pretty much the current $60k mortgage and state taxes expense will be erased. Even if the market goes to pot and the 72(t) is exhausted, I will hopefully still have the $100,000 in other IRA's and the $1 million stock portfolio.

Does anyone see any problems with this?

Does any one have any thoughts on the pros/cons of small variations:

a) my employer will pay for relocation (which I estimate will cost $100,000, all taxable to me) to the West Coast, but at a cut in salary of $9000 to $16,000/year as long as I do it a year prior to retirement. However, since I was planning to retire in the West Coast, that will erase my paying my own relocation expenses after retirement. Is it worth a salary/retirement pay cut in exchange for the relocation expenses?

b) I could probably get a salary in Silicon Valley, CA of $100,000/yr instead of $50,000/yr post retirement, plus stock options, but then it would be in a high cost of living/high tax state. I would assume the extra $50,000 a year would be used up in mortgage and taxes?

c) My employer may offer investment options in the Russell 5000 and a Global Fund in six months. Is it worth switching any money with only 3-4 years to go before retirement?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement