UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jbking Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734585  
Subject: Re: Is 25% tech in Index Fund -low risk? Date: 3/31/2001 2:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Pick your time frame(Are we looking at 1 day returns, 1 week, 1 year, what?), how often you want to adjust(Do you change things daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually, annually, every 2 years, every half-decade, every decade, every couple decades?) and I think in some cases index funds can look bad. I do think now is a time when the short-term(And even 5 years IMO isn't that long) risks of stock rear their head and so what happens? Some people who thought they were LTBH flee to the sidelines or show their market timing stripes. Others like me, stick to my guns believing in the long run things will be alright I did know stocks go down and to be prepared for it(Maybe you missed the lesson of stocks going down 1 in 4 years on average and some bad bears from before I wonder?). The question for you is are you OK with how you invest and how confident are you in achieving those goals? I'm 99.9% OK with my investments and 99.9% confident I'll achieve my goals(Heisenberg uncertainty accounts for the remaining .1% in each case.)

http://www.vanguard.com/bogle_site/bogle_speechesequity.html has some interesting notes IF you are the type to invest and not change often.(In almost 30 years over half of the funds died off and only a couple handful beat the broad market aka the Wilshire 5000.)

JB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement