UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: vitrified Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5162  
Subject: Pilgrimage to TMF HQ Date: 8/3/2010 10:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 18
Writing from a hotel in DC right now and having spent the last couple days in Alexandria, how could I resist pinging Tim via Twitter to see if I could drop in. To my surprise, he warmly invited me up, and of course I eagerly jumped at the offer.

Mostly, I wanted to thank him and the rest of the team for producing such a great service that just gets better and better. Not only have I profited, I have learned tons more about China, India and various other parts of the world, and I have become far more sophisticated at valuing businesses, markets and industries. I can't put a value on that, though it's a steal at the subscription price.

Seriously, after watching all the video clips, viewing the Flickr albums, and gobbling up anything posted by the GG crew in the newsletters, boards, special reports, tweets, blogs, fool.com, . . . (what else did I forget?), I feel like I am going to meet celebrities. Um, try not to stutter and be cool, I say to myself.

Anyway, I enter 2000 Duke Street late this morning, ride up to the fourth floor, walk up to the front desk and ask for Tim; and, voila, out he pops from behind a door to warmly greet me (me, just your average-Joe GG member). And believe it or not, Tim really is as cool and friendly in person as he seems in print. Tim graciously gives me a tour of TMF headquarters, and . . . this gets even better . . . he introduces me to The Snake (who likewise graciously indulges me) and the rest of the team and other TMF analysts.

I was surprised at what an open layout TMF has, where Tim and Snake are working in close proximity to analysts from the other services, so I can see there is more cross-flow of ideas that I might have imagined (except that Bill Mann apparently is now cordoned off in solitary confinement in a cell in the basement). Tim also shows me a wall where they have posted framed recs for the best and worst picks from each service (CGA and AIB for Global Gains) to both inspire and to remain humble. And yes, of course they do have a game room.

Tim and Snake may curse me if this post triggers an avalanche of visitors, though if you get off the DC Metro at King Street and see the TMF sign high atop 2000 Duke Street, you may find the magnetic pull toward TMF HQ irresistible. Though, of course, Tim spent too long indulging my awe and wonder chattering about Global Gains, investing, different parts of the world, etc., and probably now will not have time to settle on a new pick for the next issue--for that, the rest of you can curse me. Sorry, though I'll now be proudly sporting my new "Fool" baseball cap no matter.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement