Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Here's the regular version of pineapple squares I make (I posted the GF version on the foodies w/allergies board)

Pineapple Squares
(makes one 8x8 pan)

Dough:

1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 c butter (1/2 stick)
1 egg, beaten*
2 TB milk

Filling:

1 small (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, juice included
1 TB sugar (omit if the pineapple is packed in syrup)
1 TB cornstarch

Combine filling ingredients and cook until thickened; let cool.

While filling is cooling, make dough:

Combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
Mix together butter, egg and milk.
Add dry ingredients to butter mixture, mixing until dough forms.

Pat ~2/3 dough into bottom of sprayed 8x8 pan. Spread cooled filling over dough. Roll out remaining dough on floured surface, cut into approximately 1" wide strips and top filling in a lattice (or criss-cross pattern without weaving) with strips. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until crust turns golden brown.

* actually it would be 1/2 an egg for the regular version (I reduced the recipe down from a jelly roll pan size), but you may as well just use the whole egg unless you have use for the other 1/2 or maybe brush it on top the lattice crust before sprinkling with sugar.

Cut into 9 squares.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement