Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jimialvin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2851  
Subject: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/12/2013 2:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am a newbie at brewing - only brewing a light lager so far . I want to step up a little and try the recipe in the link below . Do you think this would be cost prohibitive ? It seems that some of the details may have been left out in this recipe , also . I would appreciate any comments from you pros !

... James ....
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jimialvin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2726 of 2851
Subject: Re: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/12/2013 2:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Oops , I forgot the link ... lol

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/36160/piraat

Author: LakeEffect Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2727 of 2851
Subject: Re: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/12/2013 7:11 PM
First off, lagers are more difficult to brew than ales, so you're doing well if you're doing light lagers well. As far as the recipe you linked, it only looks expensive (to me) on two counts: first, a tripel is a big beer, requiring more grain, and secondly, there's a lot of adjuncts that add to the price (coriander, orange peel, sugar, etc).

I, personally, don't care for all the adjuncts (and my opinion means nothing). If you want to lower cost, a nice dubbel might only use brewer's sugar as an adjunct. But if this is a recipe that appeals to you, I don't think it would be too expensive. If there's a club in your area, you could probably share the cost of the adjuncts or even get some for free from brewers that have some in the pantry.

Author: jimialvin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2728 of 2851
Subject: Re: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/13/2013 8:35 PM
Thanks , LE ! I only like a few Belgian Ales or Saisons . Many of them have that yucky , citrus aftertaste of lemon and/or orange . Among the few that I like are : Piraat , Matilda , Black Tulip , and Hennepin . Thanks for the quick feedback . I like some Dubbels , too ! Where do you go for recipes ?

Author: VitaBevis Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2729 of 2851
Subject: Re: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/14/2013 8:07 AM
I've made both Piraat and Duvel (from Clone Brews and the BYO Magazine 150 Great Clone Recipes issue, respectively) and both are terrific both both are tricky ferments. the Piraat starts out soooo high, you really have to get things right for it not to get stuck. Make a huge starter. But these recipes have both produced lovely beers for me, especially the Duvel.

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2730 of 2851
Subject: Re: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/14/2013 10:21 AM
Couple of things...as a newbie, how did you make the lager? Was it all grain? Also, I agree that lager's are tricky to get done right and taste right. If you do not have a naturally cooled <55* room in your house then you must have set up a lagering fermentor which means you are well beyond newbie skills.

So if you have done lagers and are already on all grains, not sure what you are asking. The adjuncts them selves are only dollars a piece, there are lots of places with recipies on making your own belgian candy sugars if you do not want to buy (homebrewtalk.com)

(Did you really mean lager?)

If you have not gone all grain, and made an extract kit, are you ready for all grain? You will need a mash tun to mash the grains in, you will need a much bigger boil pot than an extract boil pot, you migh need a cooler of some kind since you will not be adding water to cool, you will need to learn how to make large yeast starters to deal with the high gravities, possibly even need some yeast nutrients. If you are making a very big beer with lots of yeasts, you will also need to make sure that when she blows (and she will) that you have blow off tubes and buckets and can clean where ever the foam got to.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2731 of 2851
Subject: Re: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/14/2013 10:34 AM
Recommendations: 1
If you are making a very big beer with lots of yeasts, you will also need to make sure that when she blows (and she will) that you have blow off tubes and buckets and can clean where ever the foam got to.

When I ferment a wort, I use the first floor tub with the shower curtain closed. Easy cleanup if there ever is a blowout.

PSU

Author: jimialvin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2732 of 2851
Subject: Re: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/14/2013 6:50 PM
I am sorry , folks . I didn't mean to let on like I was doing any real brewing . Eventually , I do want to , though . I got a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas . The kit came with one light lager recipe which was a pre-packaged can of malt . There was no package of hops , but only a small packet of yeast to pour on top after the malt and water had been heated up and put in the keg . There was a small packet of sanitizer for cleaning the utensils and keg before doing the brew steps . Everything was so simple .

Author: jimialvin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2733 of 2851
Subject: Re: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/14/2013 7:11 PM
Recommendations: 1
The can of malt extract was already hopped . I'll just keep on using the pre-packaged recipes until I feel more comfortable to branch out . Later on , I may just become a Brewer and a Patriot like you guys !

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2734 of 2851
Subject: Re: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/15/2013 1:51 PM
Hey man, I will not ever dis a guy for where he is starting. Starting is the point. But, you kinda waded into a group with some knowledge and some of what you said then confused us.

Did you have to put the fermentation barrel into the fridge or in the coldest part of house to make the beer?

I am going to assume for now that you didn't have to, so what you really made was an ale. Basically they made up all the ingredients for a lager, but gave you an ale yeast to ferment it so that you didn't have to deal with the hassle of actual lager making.

Now, this in no way detracts from the fact that you made beer. And if those kits will make you happy, dude go for it! (There are actually Mr.Beer forums out there, I've seen them.) The thing with kits are they don't allow the more creative (and geeky) of us to experiment too much.

The progression I have seen people go through, if they are totally geeky can be....MrBeer Kit, Extract brewing, Partial kits, All Grain kits. Each one of those steps requires more equipment and more of your time. A medium scale all grain brew day can use over $900 in equipment and up to 5hrs of your time monitoring stuff. If you want less monitoring then you can spend in the thousand$$.

I am currently all grain, but brew in a bag. That means I am trying out a new process that appears to have been invented by the Aussies to minimize equipment while still getting pretty decent usage of your gains. Only on my third BIAB and....first two went pretty well, they are in secondary now. My thrid BIAB bag was a disaster on brew day. I literally reached the point where I turned everythign off, and put everything outside. In the freezing cold. On my deck. I didn't want to see it or deal with it at all. :^D Then Sunday I decided that was too much wort to just waste, so I boiled it up, pitched my yeast starter and it is smelling pretty good as it ferments. (LOL...if this turns out good, I will NEVER be able to reproduce...sigh.)

Author: jimialvin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2735 of 2851
Subject: Re: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/15/2013 2:12 PM
Thanks , dlbuffy ! The fermentation temp they reommended for this one was from 68 - 76 degrees . I keep my apartment thermostat on 68 .

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2736 of 2851
Subject: Re: Piraat Belgian Ale - Clone Recipe Date: 1/15/2013 2:37 PM
Yeah, then that was probably a kind of ale yeast.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement