No. of Recommendations: 0
Good lord, three inches of snow and rush hour traffic is paralyzed. Spent an hour and 40 minutes driving home from work yesteday on a commute that normnally takes 35 minutes. Next time this happems and I'm at work, I am staying at work until 7:00 p.m. to let the drones get off the roads.

To me it seems that drivers are less capable then they were 34 years ago when I started my work career. Another reason to RE.

Mike
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Good lord, three inches of snow and rush hour traffic is paralyzed

I put 3" of snow on my cornflakes, provided I ever ate cornflakes.
"Good lord, three inches of snow and rush hour traffic is paralyzed

I put 3" of snow on my cornflakes, provided I ever ate cornflakes. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They have hills in Pittsburgh.

Michigan has minor inclines.

Howie52
Who suspects that half of the residents of Pittsburgh have moved to
the Upstate of SC
They have hills in Pittsburgh.

Michigan has minor inclines.

Howie

Yep, we have lots of hills and very narrow streets and roads. Add to that the three rivers and this makes for horrible rush hour traffic even when there is not snow. A former boss once told me that a smart Pittsburgher never works in a location where there is a river and or tunnel between their place of work and their home. Pittsburghers tend to stay on their side of a river.

Pittsburgh's interstates are almost all only four lanes (two lanes in each direction) wide. There are few rare sections of Pittsburgh area interstate roadways where there may be three traffic lanes in one direction but they are not common.

If we got as much snow as say our neighbor to the north gets (Erie, PA), we would not be able to function in the winter. Up in Erie or Buffalo, NY where it's flat and the roads are wide, the residents take snow in stride. Three inches of snow is a minor inconvenience up there.

Mike
Pittsburgh will NEVER be like the south. Primarily because you couldn't survive in SEC football. And secondly, you all think there is more than one kind of tea (hint: sweet is the only kind). And finally, don't make me bring up the grits thing (I know, you're wondering what a grit is like Joe Pesci).

JLC
"Pittsburgh will NEVER be like the south. Primarily because you couldn't survive in SEC football. And secondly, you all think there is more than one kind of tea (hint: sweet is the only kind). And finally, don't make me bring up the grits thing (I know, you're wondering what a grit is like Joe Pesci)." - JLC
------------------------

I wish I lived in further down in the Deep South than we do. Where we live is considered the Mid-South and it really is different than the Deep South like where my brother lives or even Athens, Georgia where two of my sisters live. The culture, weather, how it looks, food, and the people are just different. Their accent is even different. Houses are different. It's hard to explain but I prefer the deep south to the mid-south?

Our weather moves in from Arkansas and Missouri and then Memphis before we get it and sometimes it pushes down from up North and so it gets significantly colder here than it does down in Georgia, especially in the wintertime. And the summers are cooler in Georgia. Their weather blows up from the Gulf of Mexico and so tempers the air.

Oh well no use moaning about it. I ain't going nowhere.

Art
Oh well no use moaning about it. I ain't going nowhere.

Is it true you can live dirt cheap in Florida?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/frugal-living/1200259-true-yo...
"Up in Erie or Buffalo, NY where it's flat and the roads are wide, the residents take snow in stride."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Erie is relatively flat north of I90 - not so much south of I90.
Roads weren't wide back in the 1980s - but that cann change with time.

Main thing in Erie was that the plows were put on early and some trucks were equipped with snow blowers.

Howie52
Overall, the weather is nicer in South Carolina - the folks are
pretty much great in both locales.
"Oh well no use moaning about it. I ain't going nowhere." - Art
----------------------
Catherine shares, "Is it true you can live dirt cheap in Florida?"

http://www.city-data.com/forum/frugal-living/1200259-true-yo......

-------------------------

It doesn't really matter how cheap it is to live in Florida. I married a Tennessee girl and she ain't going nowhere. Her family and friends are here and she is thoroughly embedded here, loves her job, loves her mamma, loves her friends, and she ain't going anywhere - so neither am I. They'll carry me out of this house one day feet first with my arms folded across my chest.

Trust me on this one.

Art
Advertisement