No. of Recommendations: 0
Since my husband was medically retired in June of 1998 at the age of 52, his only income has been his modest monthly retirement check. I'm 57 years old, still working and have just contributed $2000 to a ROTH for both 1999 and 2000 for myself.

My question is...are we eligible for a spousal IRA for *him* for both years as he had no earnable income? What makes this question bizarre is he passed away January 14th after a very long and debilitating illness.

I'm afraid I'm not very financially savvy and find that I must make up for lost time. If I were able to put $2000 in a spousal ROTH for him for 1999 (and possibly 2000) it would go a long way in helping me in the future. Thank you for any information you can provide.
Print the post Back To Top
Sorry for your loss. IMO you can not invest in an IRA for a deceased person.
Sorry for your loss. IMO you can not invest in an IRA for a deceased person.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to answer my post. I was somewhat afraid that I would get a cruel response. I just filed our '99 taxes and was able to file as "surviving spouse" so I thought it was worth a try to ask about the spousal IRA as well. Thanks again.
Greetings, Cookala, and welcome. You asked:

<<Since my husband was medically retired in June of 1998 at the age of 52, his only income has been his modest monthly retirement check. I'm 57 years old, still working and have just contributed $2000 to a ROTH for both 1999 and 2000 for myself.

My question is...are we eligible for a spousal IRA for *him* for both years as he had no earnable income? What makes this question bizarre is he passed away January 14th after a very long and debilitating illness. >>

I'm truly sorry for your loss. As you've already learned, now that your spouse is deceased you cannot now contribute to an IRA in his name.

Regards..Pixy
Advertisement