Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 30417  
Subject: Pizza Date: 1/15/2013 12:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm back to the Low Carb ways after a hiatus. My wife is on board. That's a great thing, because she is a gifted cook. Anyway, we are experimenting with pizza. Pizza has great low carb toppings. The real challenge is crust and sauce.
We are currently using a crust made of cauliflower, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese (when burnt slightly has a real crunch). For sauce, we used a sugar free sauce and spread it very thin.

What are some other good low carbohydrate alternatives for pizza crust and sauce?
Thanks!
Ray
Print the post Back To Top
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29941 of 30417
Subject: Re: Pizza Date: 1/15/2013 1:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What are some other good low carbohydrate alternatives for pizza crust and sauce?

I use a low carb wrap as my crust for a VERY thin crust pizza. I often make a white pizza, aka seasoned cheese, or a pesto sauce for more pizazz.

IP

Author: GeeBeeNC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29942 of 30417
Subject: Re: Pizza Date: 1/15/2013 2:40 PM
From the Low carb recipe index over here -->-->-->-->-->

http://boards.fool.com/thin-crust-pizza-ss-at-16669322.aspx

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29943 of 30417
Subject: Re: Pizza Date: 1/15/2013 2:47 PM
I use a low carb wrap as my crust for a VERY thin crust pizza.

Good idea, I will try this too.

I bought some low carb tortillas many years ago at Trader Joes and they were so wretched I hadn't gone near another one in a decade.

In November I was in the States and decided to risk it again. I had heard high praise for Mama Lupes but couldn't find them in central Iowa. Online they are incredibly expensive.

What I could find is a brand called Tumaro's. Net four carbs per tortilla. I made enchiladas with them and found the taste fully acceptable, even... dare I say it - good! (I bought the multi-grain version which is one of several versions listed here:
http://www.tumaros.com/productlist.aspx?catid=Low+in+Carb+To...

The science of low carb tortilla making seems to have advanced significantly in the new millennium.

Author: WarriorNurse Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29944 of 30417
Subject: Re: Pizza Date: 1/15/2013 7:42 PM
We are currently using a crust made of cauliflower, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese (when burnt slightly has a real crunch).

Will you post a recipe for this, please?

Thanks.
Jennifer

Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29945 of 30417
Subject: Re: Pizza Date: 1/15/2013 8:20 PM
Not really pizza, but we pound down a boneless, skinless chicken breast until it is super thin (the thinner the better); grill/fry it until cooked; transfer to a cookie sheet; apply choice of sauce and toppings; and put it under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly.

Author: hunnypot1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29946 of 30417
Subject: Re: Pizza Date: 1/15/2013 8:22 PM
Even my kids like "pizza chicken"

Author: oceanbluela Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29947 of 30417
Subject: Re: Pizza Date: 1/16/2013 2:04 AM
Recommendations: 2
I also like to make "pizza" using a portobello mushroom cap as the crust. It's kind of a juicy more deep dish pizza, but still really good. And it sure beats no pizza at all. :-)

Vivienne

Author: RayKinsella Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29948 of 30417
Subject: Re: Pizza Date: 1/16/2013 3:08 PM
Recommendations: 2
We are currently using a crust made of cauliflower, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese (when burnt slightly has a real crunch).

Will you post a recipe for this, please?

Sure.

for the crust:
2 cups processed raw cauliflower (small, like couscous)
2 cups shredded mozzarella
2 large eggs
2 tbsp dried fennel seed (or your favorite seasoning)
We add a light layer of parmesean for crispiness.

Preheat oven to 425 F.
Combine ingredients in a bowl. Press into a circle on a greased pizza pan by shrinking the crust mixture around the pan and then gently pressing the mounds together. This prevents thick spots in the center of the pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Allow to cool for five minutes. Then add your sauce and toppings and bake it again, as a pizza.

I like the earlier suggestion of pork rinds. I'll add that to the above and see how it comes out.

Ray

Author: WarriorNurse Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 29954 of 30417
Subject: Re: Pizza Date: 1/19/2013 10:14 AM
Thanks!!! (for the cauliflower pizza recipe)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement