UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: decath Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75794  
Subject: Re: no retirement plan via employer Date: 1/12/2005 1:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
PK:
It really hurts going from a job with benefits to independent contractor. Most of the time, you lose out BIG TIME financially. If you are working with only one customer and it is at their job site, then they may be hiring you as a contractor illegally and you may be able to get the IRS to insist that you be classed as an employee.

In the "IT" industry, I would not say you lose big most of the time. Perhaps some of the time is more accurate. The flex hours you can get, working from home and the dead time between projects can be a welcome sabatical if you plan appropriately. When I did "full-time" contracting, I charged an hourly rate that more than made up the loss of employee benefits. Plus I had flexible hours and I had additional business deductions that in some years more than made up the extra 7.65% employee tax. I also took advantage of the SEP IRA's that allowed me to stick more into retirements that the 401ks did at the time.

But the best thing about SE is you are you own boss and you can pick jobs you want and schedule them when you want. You can work a string of 60 hour weeks for a few months and then take a month off and vacation.

PK's comment about working at only one company as a contractor IS a violation of IRS rules after a certain amount of time. I don't have the exact rules handy since I'm an employee now, but the contractors that I know work very hard to do work for at least 2 companies in any given year so they stay off the IRS' radar screen for a tax audit.

decath
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement