Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Minky Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86561  
Subject: Plan to end telemarketing by businesses we use Date: 11/19/1998 2:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Last night we received a call from the local Saturn dealership asking us if we received their letter informing us how much money us could receive for our Saturn against the purchase of a new one. Happily, my husband fielded the call by saying, "When we want to buy a new Saturn, we will call you." Then he hung up.

I am extremely annoyed that certain companies with whom I have done business choose to use the phone number I have entrusted them with to solicit me in the future. When I provided the service department at the local Saturn dealer with my phone number, I expected to be notified when my vehicle was fixed, not to be annoyed by salemen in my home. When I provided Nations Bank with my phone number, I hoped that they would notify me if there was a problem with my account - not use telemarketers to try to convince me that I NEEDED the services of their financial advisory department.

I withdrew my money from Nations Bank after they had called my house 3 times over the same issue. The woman at the bank seemed bewildered that I would feel so strongly about this issue. I ended up finding a bank with a better interest rate. (Check out http://www.bankrate.com )Also, I will have my Saturn serviced but it will no longer be at the local Saturn dealership.

I think that if more people withdrew their business from companies who abuse the priviledge of having our phone numbers, this practice could stop. Then we could all get back to enjoying dinner with our families, uninterupted by rude salesmen who mothers evidently never taught them the meaning of the word, "NO!"

Consumer wanting to be treated with respect, not as a cash cow,
Minky
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement