Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dflint01 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19380  
Subject: Planning Date: 6/23/1999 12:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Has anyone used a retirement planner from any of the major companies, e.g., Schwab or Fidelity? Can you recommend a planner which you know from experience will function properly, based on your data input? Thanks, for any response!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 606 of 19380
Subject: Re: Planning Date: 6/23/1999 12:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
The best planner I've used is:

www.FinancialEngines.com

It's a new company founded by Nobel Prize winner William F. Sharpe. You can get a retirement income estimate for free at the site. They offer investment advice for $60/yr.

The free services are well worth the visit.

intercst

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 611 of 19380
Subject: Re: Planning Date: 6/24/1999 1:14 PM
I haved used Quicken's Financial Planner and find it to be better then those I tried which were written by brokerage houses. (In fairness to current products, I made this comparison over a year ago.) What I like about the Quicken product is you can change just about anything independently. i.e. general inflation at x% and return on stocks at some other %

There is a serious limitation which applies to the quicken product (and as far as I know to all such products). This is the problem. Assume you are looking at a 10 or 15 year period and select an average return of say 15%. There will be some years above 15% and and some below. Even if the average of the individual years in 15%, your actual income will not necessarily be 15% compounded. For example assume you use a 10 year period and loose 10% in year 1, loose 5% in year 2 and gain 20.625% in each of the remaining 8 years. The average gain is 15% in each year. The actual value of $1,000 have after these 10 years will be $3,832.34. If you compound 15% every year, $1,000 would be $4,045.56 after 10 years.

The point is in any given real world situation, even a reasonable and accurate average assumption may not be realized. The greater the length of time for your plan, the less this type of distortion will be.

Good luck.

Author: dflint01 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 613 of 19380
Subject: Re: Planning Date: 6/25/1999 10:42 AM
Hey TwoCybers, thanks for the response. I have tried the Schwab Planner-which doesn't work-and Fidelity Planner-which does work- but wanted an independent planner to make comparisons. Especially critical,I think, is the asset allocation plan and how it should be adjusted as you age! Thanks,again.

Author: 1vegas1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 638 of 19380
Subject: Re: Planning Date: 7/3/1999 11:46 AM
dflint,
I have found that Vanguard is one of the best sources for information. They have many pieces of information that are excellent and they seem to have US in mind rather than THEM. It is FREE!
I was wanting to know about the withdrawal of IRA funds after 70 1/2 and I received their booklet and it is great. Log on to their website at vanguard.com and you can get the info.

Author: dflint01 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 640 of 19380
Subject: Re: Planning Date: 7/5/1999 10:43 AM
Re Vanguard Planning. I'll try it. Thanks.
I have been able to revise,almost at will, the planning variables in the Fidelity Planner. This allows for testing various scenarios, especially future asset allocation. Regards. dflint01

Author: rakrcelic Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 875 of 19380
Subject: Re: Planning Date: 12/15/1999 5:39 PM
The best retirement planner is you! The large financial companies will give you some advice, but due-diligence is your responsibility and yours alone. I invest almost exclusively with Fidelity. They have good people with good information. However, its up to you to cut through the fog and make decisions. Other good sources are newsletters like The Fidelity Investor, Morningstar, Kiplinger's, Rukeyser's, etc. These are the more reputable ones. There are many others but they play on fear and greed. Successful investing is long term. Like really loooooog term. Do you homework and make your own decisions.

Good Luck, Bob Krcelic

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement