Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122337  
Subject: Planning for end Date: 10/2/2012 9:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you would want to have your pet put down in your own home, is that possible? What is the proper terminology for that and where would I look?

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119786 of 122337
Subject: Re: Planning for end Date: 10/2/2012 10:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Yes, you can have your pet euthanized in your home. In my area, some vets will come to one's house when it's time for an elderly and/or sick pet to be euthanized and the owner would prefer not to put them through a stressful car ride. So I would start by calling up either your regular vet or vet clinics in your area. You should also inquire about how the remains are handled. If you live in a rural area, you probably have the option for a home-buriel. But in more urban areas there might be laws against it. If you're looking to have the pet cremated, then you need to decide if you don't want the ashes, or if you do want the ashes. If you do want the ashes, typically it's a separate company that does the cremation, so you'd need to find out if you need to call them to arrange for them to come to your house at the same time as the euthanization, or if the vets clinic takes the remains with them and then the pickup by the crematory company is at the vets.

Author: blue3dragon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119787 of 122337
Subject: Re: Planning for end Date: 10/2/2012 10:45 AM
I've done it that way twice. Both times my own vet came out to my house. I'd start by asking your vet.

Michele, Mews & Zuri

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119788 of 122337
Subject: Re: Planning for end Date: 10/2/2012 11:04 AM
Yes, you can do this, it usually requires that you have an ongoing relationship with your vet and they know your pet and its circumstances. You might try a mobile vet if you don't have a regular vet that will come. So sorry and good luck with this.
JK

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119790 of 122337
Subject: Re: Planning for end Date: 10/2/2012 11:44 AM
Recommendations: 8
Thanks, need to start figuring out what I am actually going to do. Sable's good and bad times are getting shorter and shorter.

(Stop reading here, or be subjected to my emotionally driven ramble.)

No-one (two vets) seems to know what it is, but a whole series of symptoms lead to him not being able to breathe normally.

He gets stressed, he starts panting, he starts panting and it spirals to where he is hunkered down, unwilling to move and sucking in wind. (Last time he actually appeared to lose some of his sight. He was not making eye contact and I figured out he was only tracking shadows and sound. Freaked me out.)

Treat him with some flourosimide (per vet) and things settle back down. Used to be good for some time, but now the turn arounds are much closer together. After a week of treatment I didn't dose him last night and he was panting again this morning.

Long list of symptoms for this 17yr old part of my life:
- Random occasional dry hacking: just over a year
- Apparent loss of voice/hoarsness: about two years or so
- Lowered kidney concentrating: per vet, about two years
- Stressed breathing difficulties: over a year
- Blood in urine: twice now (last time just blood)
- Heart murmur: per vet, over a year now
- Weight loss: over last few months very apparent

Symptoms he doesn't have:
- No protein or white blood cells in urine sample
- No masses or swelling the vets can palpate
- Appearance of normal bathroom usage/efforts
- Still shows interest in food (never actually tracked food intake)

My man is pretty old, but not super old. Just hoping to keep him comfortable and he is still all there in the head. As the breathing thing sets in, it is coming on quicker and building faster so..well I used to have a couple days to catch on to it. Last time I went to work he was fine, I got home he was in crouch still, suck in air mode already. (That was when the blood showed up, so always a stressor that seems to set off this cycle.)((Which is wonderful on a cat you have to shove pills down on regular basis. Suck.))

I love him, but we are not doing invasive exams and continual medical procedures on a 17yr old cat. Just want him to be as happy as I can keep him, but our time limit seems to be getting closer. (I know the irony of saying this as I have panicked about him so often in the past. Then everything turns out ok. So, maybe the fates are just messing with my head and he'll be around much longer. Heck Princess is also 17 and wondering what the fuss is all about.)

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119791 of 122337
Subject: Re: Planning for end Date: 10/2/2012 11:53 AM
I did this, and was greatly comforted by it. My vet and I are friends, but that's not the sole reason that she came to do the euthanization; it's a normal part of her practice (she makes house calls, too). More vets are making themselves available for this, but not all of them. Your vet shouldn't object to your asking for a referral, however, if he or she isn't equipped to do a home visit like this.

My vet was required to bring a technician along with her, I guess as part of the board rules, so we did have to plan around availability of her technician. Ask your vet. I encourage anyone to pursue this option if available.

And, my vet stayed while we buried Eddie-cat, which made the day all the more special.

Good luck,

Rita

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119792 of 122337
Subject: Re: Planning for end Date: 10/2/2012 11:54 AM
hugs to you dlbuffy and Sable.....never easy to see how friends falter and slip away.

LuckyDog

p.s. I have a dog I'm worried about as well.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119794 of 122337
Subject: Re: Planning for end Date: 10/2/2012 12:25 PM
Recommendations: 7
The heart murmur and panting has me thinking he's probably got heart disease where it's progressed to aortic stenosis. I think this because I have a bad aortic valve, and the reason doctors first found out was through hearing a murmur, and now it's progressed where I'll need valve replacement, but ususally the decision to have surgery is based on side effects of chest pain, fainting/dizzyness, or shortness of breath.

Since you say his breathing problems start when he gets stressed plus he has a murmur, his aortic valve's probably wearing out - especially since he's 17 and in "senior" range for a kitty.

Our indoor/outdoor kitty had to be put down at 17 (which is pretty long for a cat that goes outside). It's hard, but all you can do it make sure he's comfortable. You'll know it's the "right" time if he's no longer drinking water or interested in food.

Author: hheuer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119795 of 122337
Subject: Re: Planning for end Date: 10/2/2012 1:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
my sympathies -- it's a tough situation.
quick thought: I saw you mention pills as a stressor -- any chance you can get his meds compounded into either a transdermal gel or a chewable treat? that might help with the stress aspect. Check with your vet re: compounding pharmacies.

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 119798 of 122337
Subject: Re: Planning for end Date: 10/2/2012 7:18 PM
Recommendations: 3
If you live in a rural area, you probably have the option for a home-buriel.

We had to have our beloved Skaba (Siamese) euthanized at 20 years of age.
It was a tearful event after he himself let us know it was time for him to go.

http://grumpypix.multiply.com/photos/album/3/Online#photo=40...
I have a little segment on our acreage which I call the cemetery. Big Ali has his grave now right next to Sbaba's.

My sons have instructions to put Hosuni out here also, should she outlive me.

Regards,
Grumpy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement