Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mauser96 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 202190  
Subject: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/6/2012 5:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
reading through some comments on MacRumors I came upon the discussion whether Apple should go to plastic rather than Aluminum.

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/difference-between-a...
Aluminum is stronger than plastic but weighs more. Aluminum is "greener", most of it is recycled. We are talking about the polymer type of plastiic, that used in guns like the Glock.
I like the extra stiffness aluminum gives to laptops, but am less convinced about it's use in phones. The old glass back was very scratch resistant but fragile. Both aluminum and plastic are going to be scratched by keys (mostly made of brass). Aluminum is probably a bit softer than plastic on the Mohs scale. I wonder how much of the decision to go with aluminum on the 5 had to do with esthetics rather than function. Or to distinguish iPhone from Samsung. I put a plastic case on mine anyhow, they are too slippery naked.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187529 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/6/2012 8:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm not certain if this matters with the iPhone but aluminum is very good at thermal transmission and plastic is not as good.

IMO the aluminum case ouses style in a way that plastic cannot.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187530 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/6/2012 10:32 PM
"We are talking about the polymer type of plastiic,"

Typo aside that's a little redundant.
B

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187531 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 5:32 AM
Recommendations: 3
Typo aside that's a little redundant.

Ahh, but we're talking about the repetitive type of redundancy.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187532 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 9:34 AM
"Ahh, but we're talking about the repetitive type of redundancy"

Yes and to help I'd like to add that these kinds of plastics are the kind that have long chain molecules too...wouldn't want anyone confused ;-)
B

Author: commoncents33 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187533 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 10:28 AM
Recommendations: 0
IMO the aluminum case ouses style in a way that plastic cannot.

I think Apple is wise to not neglect this aspect of the product. I think the core of Apple users appreciates this quite a bit; I know I do. This is one area that apparently fans of many of the Android phones (and tablets) could care less about...having their devices feel like cheap toys.

Carbon fiber with a clear coating would be nice, but probably not doable for 100,000,000 units.

Author: MajorBob04 Two stars, 250 posts CAPS All Star Mission Olympia 2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187535 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 10:56 AM
Ahh, but we're talking about the repetitive type of redundancy.

Haven't we been here before?

“Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.” - Stephen Wright.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187536 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 11:39 AM
"This is one area that apparently fans of many of the Android phones (and tablets) could care less about...having their devices feel like cheap toys"

I think my Samsung phone feels a lot like my friends iPhones since both have easier to grip skins around them <shrug>
B

Author: commoncents33 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187537 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 1:33 PM
I think my Samsung phone feels a lot like my friends iPhones since both have easier to grip skins around them <shrug>

I suppose if the iPhone feels better in your hand with a case than without, good for you.

For me, putting a case on such a wonderful design feels like leaving the plastic on furniture. <shrug>

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187538 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 2:27 PM

If you put skins on them both then they will feel the same... aren't we back in the redundancy department here?

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187539 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 3:03 PM
For me, putting a case on such a wonderful design feels like leaving the plastic on furniture. <shrug>

If the furniture is uncomfortable to sit in, though pretty to look at, whatcha gonna do? Stand all the time?

I think Ives designed the flat edge knowing it was uncomfortable but also assuming that most people would use a case or bumper, so the discomfort wouldn't matter. The bevel gives a fall-away edge that allows a case/bumper to grip the phone without overlapping the screen or extending too high above the screen.

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187540 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 3:35 PM
>>> Ives designed the flat edge knowing it was uncomfortable <<<

The 5 isn't uncomfortable here. We have three and no bumper cases yet (and as far as I know aren't in a hurry to get them).

Author: QuickCarrera Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187541 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 4:11 PM

Agreed. Around here you see iPhones everywhere. What I've noticed over the past year is that more and more are being carried around sans case. I used a case on my first iPhone and on none of the other 4 for the reason you state. I love the tactile feel.

Bill

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187543 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 10:46 PM
"I suppose if the iPhone feels better in your hand with a case than without, good for you."

Good for anyone (iPhone cases aren't rare).
B

Author: 4aapl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187544 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/7/2012 11:14 PM
Recommendations: 2
Around here you see iPhones everywhere. What I've noticed over the past year is that more and more are being carried around sans case. I used a case on my first iPhone and on none of the other 4 for the reason you state. I love the tactile feel.

I guess it depends on the crowd.

I posted a couple weeks ago about at least 10 of 13 people in a meeting having an iPhone. Every one of those had a case on them.

But everyone there also had a kid in preschool. I know I cringe when my 23 month old brings my iPhone to me, let alone one of the older kids. Today one of them dropped it on our wood floor. It probably wouldn't have been serious, but I'm glad that I have a beefy case on mine, and that my wife not only has that but also has a bumper over it.

Definitely not as sleek as being nude, but I'm not sure both of our 4S's would have made it the 9 months so far if they didn't have drop absorbing cases on them.

8 years ago, or 8 years from now, maybe. But right now they get cased.

Aaron

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187545 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/8/2012 1:16 AM
Long before I bought an iPhone, I bought my daughter a 1st-gen iPod touch, for her high school graduation prezzy. I bought it at the physical store, and I asked the sales guy about cases. He pulled an iPod touch out of his jeans pocket and said, "This is my own iPod. I've been carrying it in my pocket with my car keys for a couple of months. Take a look."

The glass was totally pristine, and when I squinted hard I could just see tiny traces of scuffing on the stainless back. I didn't get her a case. Since then I've never put a case or protective films on my iPhone, which I carry in a belt holster or in a pocket, slide around on my desktop, etc.

I've dropped every iPhone I've owned. On the floor, on the street, you name it (but not in the toilet). The drop record was my 3GS which I dropped while standing on the wing of an airplane. The wing was maybe five feet off the ground, and I dropped the phone from hip height, so let's say a 7 or 8-foot drop to the asphalt runway. That made a barely visible ding on the corner of the phone, and no other damage.

Plastic, aluminum, or glass, these gadgets are pretty rugged.

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187546 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/8/2012 4:33 AM
In addition to drop protection, curved sides just feel better in the hand than flat edged sides. iPhone 1 through 3GS were comfortable to hold nude (or even with clothes on). 4S is not.

I had only a very brief try with a 5 but it seemed a bit better than 4S perhaps due to less weight, which makes the edge less detectable.

Still the grip comfort and sense of security of a bumper/case would help. Would also keep it from getting crud on the screen when placed flat on a table.

As with high heels and pointy shoes though, style often trumps comfort. How to make a bumper sexy?

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187547 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/8/2012 5:00 AM
Arguing that the style doesn't matter because it gets put in a case is kind of like saying what food looks like on your plate is irrelevant because it goes in your stomach. If food is so gross looking that you have to close your eyes to eat it, people aren't going to buy it. Or perhaps that a nice sports-car's appearance doesn't matter because you are sitting inside it most of the time.

The iPhone looks sharp, it feels classy when you hold it, and when you demo it in the store it looks sharp. When you buy it, and break into the box, you are rewarded with a sharp looking phone that looks high quality. When you peel off the case in 2 years and resell it, the thing is still damned sexy and it's resale value usually reflects that.

Even if 90% of people put it in a case. It's clearly meant to be admired as it is, and equally clearly, the quality look and feel influence the purchasing decision and the eventual resale value of the phone (or arguably the value to the person you pass it on to if you don't sell it).

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187555 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/8/2012 1:34 PM
curved sides just feel better in the hand than flat edged sides

Funny. I feel the exact opposite. I like the way the 4 feels. Plus, I like that it lays completely flat.

dsbrady

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187556 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/8/2012 2:08 PM
I like the way the 4 feels. [having flat sides with 90 degree edges i.e. not curved]

I think there are reasons why most things designed to be held in the hand are curved like the hand. Bottles. Drinking glasses. Cans. Steering wheels. Gear shift knobs. Door knobs. Broom handles...

Author: dsbrady Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187559 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/8/2012 3:12 PM
I think there are reasons why most things designed to be held in the hand are curved like the hand. Bottles. Drinking glasses. Cans. Steering wheels. Gear shift knobs. Door knobs. Broom handles...

True, but:

A) Those you tend to wrap your hand around most of the way (if not all), which you don't really do with an iPhone (at least I don't -- when am using it, my hand is generally only in contact with the sides, which [again, for me] works better with the flat edges)
B) The designers of those didn't ask me, either. :)

dsbrady

Author: Kentopia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187560 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/8/2012 3:22 PM
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2012/10/...

Interesting retraction in the form of a completely new article.

Guess it's not that bad. ;)

[via DF]

As a note to the discussion at hand, I think the affordance of the 4/4S/5 shape is more conducive to holding and using the iPhone via the screen rather than cupping and holding it as a phone.

Author: mauser96 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187561 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/8/2012 3:45 PM
note the first part of the review, the feel, the niceness of metal

http://daringfireball.net/2012/09/iphone_5

I believe this is a big reason Apple has not updated its bumpers for the iPhone 5 — this is a phone that was meant to be used without a case. There’s also a marketing advantage: few of the competing phones on the market are made of metal.

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187576 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/9/2012 10:47 PM
there are reasons why most things designed to be held in the hand are curved like the hand. Bottles. Drinking glasses. Cans. Steering wheels. Gear shift knobs. Door knobs. Broom handles...

The vast majority of items are the shape they are because it is the least expensive way to manufacture them. Bottles, cans, and glasses are round to save money and because the strength/ weight ratio is better. Many objects that you 'grip' are round so you hold them the same way regardless of how you grab them (Broom handles/ doorknobs/ gearshifts).

None of that really applies to smartphones. Nor is the iPhone 5 heavy enough where ergonomics is a big issue. The iPhone 5 is too small to really be uncomfortable in the hand (unless you use it to hammer nails or something odd). It's a fingertip item.

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187579 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/10/2012 7:29 AM
Bottles, cans, and glasses are round to save money and because the strength/ weight ratio is better.

You must be an engineer. Ask somebody from sales & marketing if customer comfort in using a handheld product doesn't factor into design decisions.

Author: Kentopia Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187582 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/10/2012 10:31 AM
You must be an engineer. Ask somebody from sales & marketing if customer comfort in using a handheld product doesn't factor into design decisions.

Seriously? You think a salesman or marketer is better at customer design and comfort? That's not what salesmen and marketers do.

The group you are thinking of is called a designer. They are part engineer, part artist. Also, engineers are capable of being creative. But you've already dismissed the design group because the had to have made the iPhone with a bumper in mind. I'd point out the flaw in that logic, but since you're not an engineer....

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187591 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/10/2012 2:39 PM
Ask somebody from sales & marketing if customer comfort in using a handheld product doesn't factor into design decisions.

Go wander through a grocery store, the distinction between round edged and square edged is almost universally based on the material the packaging is made of regardless of the product. Drinks which are sold in waxes cardboard containers are sold in square edged containers, drinks which are sold in plastic, glass, or metal are sold in round containers. Cereal has square edges as does sugar in boxes, macaroni and cheese, baking soda is in square boxes, etc.

Squared things aren't the much tougher to handle, particularly if they are lightweight.

Author: spinning Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187595 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/10/2012 3:27 PM
Go wander through a grocery store, the distinction between round edged and square edged is almost universally based on the material the packaging is made of regardless of the product. Drinks which are sold in waxes cardboard containers are sold in square edged containers, drinks which are sold in plastic, glass, or metal are sold in round containers. Cereal has square edges as does sugar in boxes, macaroni and cheese, baking soda is in square boxes, etc.

Pringles!

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187607 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/11/2012 12:19 PM
"Arguing that the style doesn't matter"

Never "argued" that - only that the subjective specifics that some find so compelling are often covered up in practice be it one brand or the other.

"because it gets put in a case is kind of like saying what food looks like on your plate is irrelevant because it goes in your stomach"

I can't help it if so many people like condiments on their food and observe that it changes what desired or consumed.
B

Author: mauser96 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187669 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/14/2012 3:21 PM
video showing why Apple uses aluminum rather than plasic for the MacBook Pro

It's a real work of art, but machining must be a lot more expensive than using a mold and plastic.

I suppose much the same thing is done with iPhone 5. It's astonishing to me that it weighs less than the 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSPdW_9sguU&feature=youtu...

Author: commoncents33 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187676 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/16/2012 10:39 AM
Watching that video, you realize just how amazing Apple's "fanatic" (to quote Ives) attention to construction detail is. This aspect of Apple products, which is completely different than any competitor (frankly, I don't know of any mass-produced product of any kind that compares) is completely lost on fans of Wintel computers and Android phones/tablets. I suppose there are many who just want to save money, and I understand that. But I also suppose that there will always be a non-trivial segment of the population who appreciates and wants this kind of precision craftsmanship, and is willing to pay up a bit to get it. And I doubt that any other consumer electronics maker will ever get to this level of craftsmanship, for who has the market and the business model to allow the expense of the tooling and engineering required to do this?

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187727 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/18/2012 6:31 AM
One big advantage of aluminum over plastic is that the aluminum acts as a large heat sink, the plastic does not.

Kahuna, CFA
Investment Professional
1974 - Present

Author: commoncents33 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187751 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/19/2012 2:49 AM
One big advantage of aluminum over plastic is that the aluminum acts as a large heat sink, the plastic does not.

I'm not an engineer, but I think what you're trying to say is that aluminum is a good conductor of heat. So it takes it from the electronics and transfers it to the environment. A heat sink would store the heat.

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187753 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/19/2012 3:04 AM
"In electronic systems, a heat sink is a passive component that cools a device by dissipating heat into the surrounding air. " -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_sink

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 187991 of 202190
Subject: Re: Plastic vs aluminum Date: 10/24/2012 11:46 AM
I'm not an engineer, but I think what you're trying to say is that aluminum is a good conductor of heat. So it takes it from the electronics and transfers it to the environment. A heat sink would store the heat. - commoncents33 | Date: 10/19/2012 2:49:05 AM | Number: 187990

Actually, in the Physics of Thermodynamics, a Heat sink rapidly conducts energy <heat> away from other objects it is in thermal contact with and radiates and dissipates that heat into the air.

Kahuna, CFA

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (35) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement