UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10543  
Subject: Playing mp4s? Date: 1/20/2013 1:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Although fairly good with technology I will admit to being quite lazy and usually go with the simplest solutions at times.

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to see up a wireless system where I could play movies from a computer or network storage (not cloud based) device to either of my two tvs?

For example at times I will rip (via Handbrake) personally owned dvds into a mp4 format and put them on my ipad when I travel. Is there a way to play these directly on my tvs without physically connecting the output to the tv?

I know I might need some kind of device to receive and play the movie on the tv and that device would need direct connection to the tv.

I was just pondering this because I was watching an older movie from Netflix even though I had the movie on dvd (and the quality from Netflix is rarely more than marginal) but I wasn't sure where I had placed the dvd. If I could create a library (even though it would be time consuming) of mp4 files and store them on a drive/server and play them whenever I wanted I think I would watch them more frequently.

Any ideas or links to people doing this?
If it matters most of my computer equipment is from Apple although I also use Linux (Ubuntu).

Thanks
Rich
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10164 of 10543
Subject: Re: Playing mp4s? Date: 1/20/2013 2:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
My BluRay player has wi-fi. Following the instructions I linked it to my main computer. I can stream any file (of compatible format) to the BluRay player, and therefore the TV. MP4 is one of the formats I can do.

It will also read off a 'thumb drive', though you are limited by the FAT32 file size (4GB, I think). I've done that also.

We got our player at Costco. Not very expensive, works well. Probably the simplest solution for you.

1poorguy

Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10165 of 10543
Subject: Re: Playing mp4s? Date: 1/20/2013 3:22 PM
If you're already importing the mp4 files into iTunes for transfer to your iPad, then just get an AppleTV box to connect to your TV.

There are cheaper ways to do it (Roku), but they require more work.

Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10166 of 10543
Subject: Re: Playing mp4s? Date: 1/20/2013 6:27 PM

My BluRay player has wi-fi. Following the instructions I linked it to my main computer. I can stream any file (of compatible format) to the BluRay player, and therefore the TV. MP4 is one of the formats I can do.

Maybe it is time to actually read the instructions for my player. It isn't wireless although I do have it connected to the Internet. I'll have to see what capabilities exist.

Thanks
Rich

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10167 of 10543
Subject: Re: Playing mp4s? Date: 1/20/2013 6:51 PM
Definitely check out the book. I knew mine had wi-fi, but I wasn't clear why. So I read the book and was pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, if yours is connected to your home network you may still be able to do it. I would think so. Definitely worth checking.

Let us know.
1poorguy

Author: SvenHoek Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10168 of 10543
Subject: Re: Playing mp4s? Date: 1/21/2013 12:30 PM
Any ideas or links to people doing this?
If it matters most of my computer equipment is from Apple although I also use Linux (Ubuntu).

Have you checked out the Plex media software? (www.plexapp.com)

I've been using it for a while and it's pretty good (and free for most systems). I have the server software set up on my HTPC and all of my videos are stored elsewhere on NAS. The HTPC also has the player software which I have set up to be controlled by a Logitech remote.

One of the things that I like about the software is it's flexibility. As someone else mentioned, you could play the video remotely on a TV using a Roku box but you could also use something as simple as a Raspberry Pi device. They also have an iPad app (for $5) that works great and a web-based player that's not bad too. Another cool feature is that it will scrobble the metadata for the video from the internet.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement