UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884510  
Subject: Re: Questions to ask a lawyer Date: 11/12/2012 1:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Please accept my deepest condolences.

I am not an attorney, but my wife works for a large law firm that works for insurance companies defending personal injury cases. In other words, the trucking company's insurance company would hire the law firm my wife works for.

The firm my wife works for has been around for more than a century, has five offices in Illinois employing more than one hundred attorneys and nearly two hundred support staff. They have expert witnesses and resources and they are very successful at minimizing payouts for their clients. Regardless of where you are, it is likely that such a firm is on contract with the trucking company's insurance company.

Your father would be at a large disadvantage should he seek to get something resembling a fair settlement from such a firm. I hope this doesn't sound mean, but would he know a fair settlement were one presented to him? I know that I would not. If such a thing had happened to my wife, I would have no idea whether $50,000, or $500,000, or $5 million dollars were fair, or reasonable.

Grief is very tough. If it were me, I would be overwhelmed. I am glad to hear that you are available to assist your father in this very difficult process. Take your time. I imagine there is some sort of limit on the filing of claims, but it probably isn't 30 days.

Best wishes.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (31) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement