Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

Please be clear. Did NT (which as Microsoft claims includes all bundled software in the box labeled NT)use code from the previous and/or concurrent OS/2 effort at Microsoft?

I think you may be putting too fine an edge on written from scratch. Designed from scratch might be more appropriate. I have yet to meet a programmer that writes every single line of code from scratch even in a 'from scratch' project. They produce much better product when they reuse proven code. NT was originally going to be a portable--non-processor specific--version of OS/2 which is what necessitated the starting over. Was OS/2 ever offered for any non-Intel processors? I remember processor portability being a major obstacle for OS/2.

I reviewed my books and there are descriptions of borrowing Windows 95 software for the NT 4.0 release. Are the books wrong?

Was the claim NT was written from scratch or NT 4.0 was written from scratch? When the Win 95 GUI was a hit it had to be added to NT. Would it really have made any sense to rewrite it for NT? Since much of the fucntionality of Win 98 has to be added to NT if the Win XX line can be dropped for NT, then some Win XX code has to be reused in NT.

So the original NT could have been written from scratch but that doesn't mean that later code--also written from scratch--couldn't find its way into both Win 95 and NT 4.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement