UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yttire Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1498  
Subject: Please consider participating in the 2005 RIC Date: 6/28/2005 7:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Please consider participating in the 2005 RIC (Retirement investment challenge).

We are going head to head to compete for investing $500,000 to retire on with a 5% withdrawal rate. The goal is to practice for our own eventual retirement, and to learn about investing strategies for retirement. The official start is 6/30/2005 but you may join at any time.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22677461
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 858 of 1498
Subject: Re: Please consider participating in the 2005 RI Date: 7/3/2005 4:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
<<We are going head to head to compete for investing $500,000 to retire on with a 5% withdrawal rate. The goal is to practice for our own eventual retirement, and to learn about investing strategies for retirement. The official start is 6/30/2005 but you may join at any time.
>>

Sorry, in my view this kind of effort is a waste of time.

An investment plan pays off over a period of several decades. Trying to evaluate returns after a year is a waste of time.

Secondly, a substantial part of the investing challenge involves the courage to put your money on the line. Using imaginary money is a pointless exercise.

"Winners" will predictably be people who place a large bet on narrow portions of the market, and who luck out over the period chosen. That tells me nothing about how to be a winner long term.

My suggestion: ditch this pointless competition and invest the $10 you were going to offer as a prize.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Ceberon Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 859 of 1498
Subject: Re: Please consider participating in the 2005 RI Date: 7/5/2005 6:27 PM
Recommendations: 2
I believe the point of the contest (as he said) is to "practice for our own eventual retirement, and to learn about investing strategies for retirement".

I thought up a strategy I planned to use in retirement. I went and bought the stocks I would theoretically use in retirement. Now I'm going to wait and watch the price over a year, after I explained my plan.

Now I'm going to read the other posts in the contest about why they decided upon their strategy in retirement. Hopefully someone will comment on my strategy at some point in time, and will perhaps give me insight into why my ideas won't work.

I think it's a fine idea. It's not simply a "see how much money you end up with", but more like "Explain what you're doing, we'll all watch it together and discuss them". If it was just about the amounts at the end, I'd agree with you. As it is, I think you missed the point.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement