Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 11
Please don't laugh right away...give this about 10 seconds of thought first.

Time's up. [tee hee] Actually, this is far from the silliest twist I've ever seen. I give you points for effort at the least.

Maybe IRS has already ruled on this, or maybe its been mentioned on the board before.

Soon I'll have to make mandatory withdrawals from my Traditional IRA due to hitting age 70 1/2.

When I made my contributions into my Trad IRA, it was from Earned Income dollars.

Are you sure about that? My IRA contributions come from my bank account. I have no idea whether the specific dollars I'm sending are from earned income or raiding my Twinkie fund. Check out "fungible" if you don't know what it means. Money is fungible.

Thus, one could say that a portion of the money I begin to withdraw is just "Deferred Earned Income".

So, would I be allowed to claim that percentage of my mandatory withdrawal as "Earned Income", and be allowed to put it into a Roth IRA?
It makes sense to me that I would be allowed that option.

No. Earned income is specifically defined in the Code, and IRA distributions, no matter what logical contortions you run them through, are not included.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.