Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

My 6 year old child had approximately $650 in capital gains from a sale of shares in a mutual fund in his UTMA and approximately $150 in dividends on the same account.

It appears that the easiest way to go is to fill out form 8814 and report this income on my taxes, since the total is less that $1400.

Is this correct?

If not, I can pretty easily fill out his own 1040 -- the only question there is the signature line. Who should sign it and how should they sign. He's old enough to write his name.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.