UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Beardust100 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6186  
Subject: PLF Date: 10/1/2003 2:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
From the Primelife (ASX: PLF) Annual Report:
"LIKELY DEVELOPMENTS AND EXPECTED RESULTS
In the opinion of the directors further information, including the expected future results, would unreasonably prejudice the interests of the consolidated entity."

What could this mean?

Beardust100.

DISCLOSURE NOTICE: I hold shares in PLF.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Barcoo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6044 of 6186
Subject: Re: PLF Date: 10/2/2003 8:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
It probably means the same as this does-
In the opinion of the directors, any further disclosure of information would be likely to result in unreasonable prejudice to the OneSteel Group.

Disclosure - holding PLF, not holding Onesteel.

regards
Barcoo

Author: jeffrubinstein Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6045 of 6186
Subject: Re: PLF Date: 10/2/2003 2:30 PM
Recommendations: 1
Hello Folks,

All this stuff begs the question...

WTF is reasonable prejudice?

Regards

Jeff

*asking the *hard* questions since 1902*

Author: Barcoo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6046 of 6186
Subject: Re: PLF Date: 10/3/2003 7:06 AM
It would be fairly obvious to most that a certain amount of disclosure is desirable.
It is also obvious that too much disclosure would be to the detriment of the relevant parties/shareholders etc.
When that crossover point is reached is not easy to determine without hindsight or access to the knowledge/information being withheld.
There you arrive at a Cache 22 - either you trust them or you don't.
If you don't trust them then maybe you shouldn't hold shares in the company in the first place.

regards
Barcoo

Author: jeffrubinstein Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6047 of 6186
Subject: Re: PLF Date: 10/4/2003 4:02 PM
Recommendations: 2
Hello Barcoo,

I *think* we have a slightly different investing style. :)

& I don't have a position in PLF, but that's because I don't believe in the business model, rather than governance issues.

But, and it is a big but, I feel that prudent management means not getting into a situation where the companies commercial interests get in the way of a full disclosure.

Not accusing anyone of anything, just sayin'

Jeff

Author: Barcoo Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6048 of 6186
Subject: Re: PLF Date: 10/4/2003 9:53 PM
means not getting into a situation where the companies commercial interests get in the way of a full disclosure.

What an absolute load of crap.
There is not a company on the face of the Earth that this could apply to.

regards
Barcoo

Author: prim69 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6049 of 6186
Subject: Re: PLF Date: 10/4/2003 10:01 PM
There is not a company on the face of the Earth that this could apply to.

I agree, if only for the simple fact that what most companies do, management and administration-wise, is an alien world for the majority of their investors. Well, not the broad picture, but the details.

The retirees who jump up & down at AGM's honestly have no idea about how large (or small, most of them!) corporations are run, & the interconnectedness between them, & most would take their money & disappear in a wink if told "everything".

JMO.

Primm

*beginning to learn just how small & incestuous the Australian stock market actually is!*

Author: Beardust100 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6050 of 6186
Subject: Re: PLF Date: 10/6/2003 11:11 PM
*beginning to learn just how small & incestuous the Australian stock market actually is!*

Ain't that the truth. Look at the number of characters who are on more than one board, and also the lobbyist and 'self regulator', the Business Council of Australia, which is effectively a union for CEOs.

If I only held shares in companies where I have blind faith in the management, I wouldn't hold any shares.

I would, though, as a part owner, like to be kept informed about the company's directions, plans goals, and issues. The Annual Report is the perfect opportunity for the company to define those agenda. I also believe the management should be held to account if it fails to meet its objectives. Every other employee in the organisation is accountable for those things under his/her control.

Beardust100.
Who does hold shares in PLF.

Author: Beardust100 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6051 of 6186
Subject: Re: PLF Date: 10/7/2003 12:15 AM
Not directly related to the original thread (but possibly relates to an earlier post from me on this board):

Recent announcement by Primelife (ASX: PLF):
"The Board of Primelife Corporation Limited has directed its Managing Director Mr Eduard Christiaan Sent to stand aside pending the outcome of an independent review being conducted into a number of matters. Mr Sent's Employment Agreement remains on foot. Mr Sent has indicated his intention to co-operate in the review."

Beardust100.
DISCLOSURE NOTICE: I hold shares in PLF.

Author: 1000 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Coverage Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6057 of 6186
Subject: Re: PLF Date: 10/12/2003 2:24 AM
Hi Jeff,

I noticed you were from London. I was asked a question about brokers from the UK. If there were any that were considered discount brokers. I would be interested in any names that you might be able to come up with. The names are all I will need as I can use Google search to help me locate their websites or other relevant information.

thanks

tom

Author: jeffrubinstein Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6058 of 6186
Subject: Re: PLF Date: 10/13/2003 3:53 AM
Recommendations: 2
Hello Tom,

Have a look here http://boards.fool.co.uk/Messages.asp?bid=50070 Your Fool.com username (1000) and password *should* work OK. But you can browse the posts as well without logging in to the site.

HTH

Author: 1000 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Coverage Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6060 of 6186
Subject: Re: PLF Date: 10/13/2003 2:07 PM
Hi HTH,

This should work very well. Thanks for the link.

tom

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement