Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: FoolNBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5082  
Subject: Re: Starting LATE? Too Late?? Date: 2/15/2006 7:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Plus, you aren't really living, you are existing: "We don't have cable, we don't have a land line, we hardly ever eat out, we shop at Aldies whenever we can and our entertainment is camping with the kids."

I don't think that you can conclude they are "not really living" based off of your snippet. I don't have cable. In fact, having cable would encourage me to sit in the house and watch more TV -hardly "living" as I define it. I don't have a landline either. I use my cell phone. Not sure how paying $25/mo to receive the occasional telemarketers call would improve my life; I can send and receive calls on my cell phone just fine. Shopping at a cheaper place is not taking away from living either. I purchase most of my staples at Walmart and buy perishables on sale when I can. -Takes a little effort to flip though sale flyers but not enough that it significantly impacts my QOL. Camping, I wish I got out camping more. If you camping then not camping is "not really living."

I agree with the overall sentiment that you need to enjoy life as you prepare for your goals... just not the conclusion that they are not really living. -That is a personal call they have to make. I've splurged on a few things that increase my QOL and cut back on low return items -like cable and land line phone. Perhaps your need to have cable is my luxury while the luxury of sleeping in a tent in a beautiful park alongside a crystal clear spring-fed river is a sacrifice over your preferred 4 star hotel vacation.

You do have to save your way to wealth... without saving, there is no wealth generation. Saving is function of spending less than you take in. Depending on the situation, cutting spending may not be the most effective way to increase savings... A focus on maximizing income may be more effective.

FoolNBlue (Who will probably splurge when/if cable is available a la carte)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement